Maria Shriver

Files for Divorce

7/1/2011 3:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Maria Shriver has pulled the trigger on her marriage ... she just filed for divorce from Arnold Schwarzenegger ... and we've learned, there is NO PRENUP.

Maria Shriver Divorce
In the divorce petition, obtained by TMZ, Shriver cites "irreconcilable differences" as her reason for ending the 25-year marriage.

Shriver is asking for spousal support and wants the judge to deny Arnold the right to ask for support for himself-- though it's highly unlikely he would.

Shriver is asking for joint custody of their minor children, who she names in the document as 17-year-old "Patrick Arnold Shriver Schwarzenegger" and 13-year-old "Christopher Sargent Shriver Schwarzenegger."

And, in the petition, filed by disso-queen Laura Wasser, Shriver is asking Arnold to pay the attorneys' fees of both parties.

As for the date Arnold and Maria separated ... it isn't specified in the divorce papers.

According to the docs, the property accumulated during the marriage will be divided at a later date.  And, sources tell TMZ, there is no prenup, so all of Arnold and Maria's earnings over the past quarter century will be divided 50/50.

Sources close to the couple tell TMZ ...  Arnold and Maria are on speaking terms and Arnold knew beforehand that she was filing divorce papers. Maria is telling friends she hopes this will be an easy and amicable divorce.

0701_arnold_maria_split_footer

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

Arnold lost his family, money and reputation for a roll in the hay. Why not just take a cold shower. I thought he was smart, but I guess he is dumb after all. Was it worth it? NO! He's been ERASED ! ! ! !

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Good luck for the people who work it out with a cheater. I for one think I am worth more than that and deserve only the best.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Googie Googie

Asta la vista Arnold. Get him where it hurts, his money.

Barbarascy Barbarascy

I'm actually sad to see them divorcing. But some things just can't be fixed. I'd say this is one of them.

jpierce26 jpierce26

can't help but being blunt....good for her he is a D-bag. The worst kind.

MIKE MIKE

GOOD! I Hope she takes the pig to the cleaners!

Paul Paul

Who's the "Terminator" now?

Superman Superman

Kinda sad. He pretty much came out of nowhere and practically begged her to marry him. Then after they marry, he cheats on her for decades with many women. Greedy sc*mbag forgot to count his blessings. Same story, different rich guy.

Victoria

He may have used her to gain the political associations and Kennedy name in order to persue politics. Obviously this man is a USER, DECIEVER.WITHOUT THE KENNEDYS, he would never have gotten elected in the first place.But WORKING TOGETHER is joint custody. Why pledge to work with a LIAR?

Anonymous527496

Wow, a marriage of 25 years thrown away over a love child with the maid. And he didn't end up with the maid either..what a loser Arnold is. And that Mildred homewrecker..I wonder how she feels for what she caused?

JimS

A true Kennedy till the end! Where does this rich bitch get off asking for alimony when she is perfectly capable of working. She's
just like the rest of the Kennedy trash!

joann

I realy hate to see this,I am a BIG FAN of Arnold and I will always be his BIGGEST FAN,

Ben Le

Hey "Arnie," you're not looking fantastic and you're not going to be back. You've let the big head do the thinking for the little head. Maybe, you should have talked to your hand more... Instead you thought you had it maid.

Bill

Ahhh Arnold, you was the man, the terminator, the action hero but then that was just the movies. Your real life was all lies. What a disappointment.

Donna

I always thought he was all about himself now its been proven. The maid was also at fault here and the way she looks in her photos i have to wonder who hired her.Good luck to he and his mistress. Maria and the children come from a strong cape cod family and will survive very nicely.

DEB

News Fla******he bottom line here ( once again ) is that men and women are just "wired differently" when it comes to sex. Many studies have proved this fact. And when you add an out of control ego, this is what happens.....how many times have we seen this sort of thing with men with big egos and in powerful places ( Weiner, etc. )Don't get me wrong, women certainly cheat also, although much less frequently, and not in such wreckless ways and much more discreet. How many women, versus how many men,in the last 10 yrs have you seen risk marriage,job,reputation,promising future, for sex/sex related tryst? Repeat: Men are wired differently ! Egos,power hungry personalities,and the like only compound the problem.There are many men, even though wired "for sex", that maintain control, and I salute all those gentlemen ! Happy 4th folks !

qhbg

I wonder if he "visualized" all this?

jamesmelacqua@gmail.com

The one thing that bothers me the most, is how the american people keep on voting for these politicians who lie cheat and deceive their families and us the american people. It only proves to me, that the worst betrayal is when you lie to your wife, because if you can lie to your wife you can lie to anyone...if i hear that a friend,buddy,or especially a business partner cheats on his wife and lies, that you can judge him or her that way,do not expect them to be honest to you

MKS

We all sin and sinning is cheating on God. God forgives us over and over, as long as we ask for forgiveness. Remember that saying, "let those who are without sin throw the first stone.

Beverly

A divorce is never easy, but when someone cheats that is every reason to part ways. For someone to take away your trust and self-respect that is a deal breaker. To remain would build bad feelings. The best thing to do is move on.

Mark

I don't think he will miss that bag of bones.

Rob

I'm sure Maria will feel a lot better about the situation once she receives her $100-200 million. It's funny how money can fix just about anything. ESPECIALLY if you're a woman! ;)

Mike F

To all you that feel because she is a KENNEDY we shoud feel bad. How many of you said anything when TED "I KILLED AN INOCENT GIRL" KENNEDY murdered MARYJO KAPECTNEY in a DRUNK DRIVING ACCIDENT? Or when JOHN THE WHORE MASTER KENNEDY SCREWED MARILYN MONROE THEN HAD HER KILLED? NONE of you thats who.

Previous 15 Comments | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments