Maria Shriver

Files for Divorce

7/1/2011 3:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Maria Shriver has pulled the trigger on her marriage ... she just filed for divorce from Arnold Schwarzenegger ... and we've learned, there is NO PRENUP.

Maria Shriver Divorce
In the divorce petition, obtained by TMZ, Shriver cites "irreconcilable differences" as her reason for ending the 25-year marriage.

Shriver is asking for spousal support and wants the judge to deny Arnold the right to ask for support for himself-- though it's highly unlikely he would.

Shriver is asking for joint custody of their minor children, who she names in the document as 17-year-old "Patrick Arnold Shriver Schwarzenegger" and 13-year-old "Christopher Sargent Shriver Schwarzenegger."

And, in the petition, filed by disso-queen Laura Wasser, Shriver is asking Arnold to pay the attorneys' fees of both parties.

As for the date Arnold and Maria separated ... it isn't specified in the divorce papers.

According to the docs, the property accumulated during the marriage will be divided at a later date.  And, sources tell TMZ, there is no prenup, so all of Arnold and Maria's earnings over the past quarter century will be divided 50/50.

Sources close to the couple tell TMZ ...  Arnold and Maria are on speaking terms and Arnold knew beforehand that she was filing divorce papers. Maria is telling friends she hopes this will be an easy and amicable divorce.

0701_arnold_maria_split_footer

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

Arnold lost his family, money and reputation for a roll in the hay. Why not just take a cold shower. I thought he was smart, but I guess he is dumb after all. Was it worth it? NO! He's been ERASED ! ! ! !

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Good luck for the people who work it out with a cheater. I for one think I am worth more than that and deserve only the best.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Googie Googie

Asta la vista Arnold. Get him where it hurts, his money.

Barbarascy Barbarascy

I'm actually sad to see them divorcing. But some things just can't be fixed. I'd say this is one of them.

jpierce26 jpierce26

can't help but being blunt....good for her he is a D-bag. The worst kind.

MIKE MIKE

GOOD! I Hope she takes the pig to the cleaners!

Paul Paul

Who's the "Terminator" now?

Superman Superman

Kinda sad. He pretty much came out of nowhere and practically begged her to marry him. Then after they marry, he cheats on her for decades with many women. Greedy sc*mbag forgot to count his blessings. Same story, different rich guy.

writenow

You Go girl. I'm sure your attorneys will prohibit you from suffering from some of the other problems women have....as featured on Familylawcourts.com

Especially the "Therapists" page. The cronyism is criminal.

Giggles

I really don't think anyone is surprised to hear this.

realist

gosh Big Poppa, Tell me how much Casey Anthony loved her child.

travcm

This divorce will just be another example of how a the breadwinners always get screwed over, especially if male. Try to separate your opinion of Arnold as a cheater from the divorce, because why they are divorcing has no impact on this. When this is all said and done Arnold could be worth less than her, which is entirely unfair. I don't care if he cheated with 100 women. He earned 99% of their income and should at least come out with 75% of it. So much injustice.

jason

By the way, you guys keep using "pull the trigger" wrong.

"Pull the trigger" in business-speak means to go ahead and do something. You pull the trigger on a deal, or on a big purchase.

Maria has decided to pull the trigger on the divorce, not the marriage.

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

"Unconditional love between a parent and child is automatic. No matter how messed up the relationship, that instinctual love is there."

You got that wrong buddy or whoever you are.

My freaking dad cheated on my mother when I was 13, she divorced him, took him to the bank for our bills all the way through college for everything, and he paid em all. So, my siblings and I became very successful and they made up with him when she passed at 63 in 07 from mostly a broken heart.

On the other hand, I still haven't talked to him and never will even the day he dies. You can't buy my love. When he cheated on her he cheated on us and I don't take that ****** from no one ever. That's why I'm single still today, I wouldn't trust anyone and looking at women under 40 today it's easy to see why.

Loyalty and marriage means diddly squat and no ho's taking my checks forever when she humps the mailman or whomever. Not in this lifetime..

realist

Travcm, Sorry, and secretly I agree with you, but California is a community property state, and earnings and ac***ulations of the parties during the marriage are equally divided in a divorce, unless the parties agree to a different division.

Jasmin L

No thats sick! How can anyone look at the person they once loved without thinking "will he cheat on me again?" thats just sad

Jasmin L

No she should ask for spousal support he cheated on her and acted like nothing happened! So asking for spousal support isnt being greedy if anything its not enough.

ReasonableApartments

Hopefully the kids won't be the ones suffering from this.

Find a roommate,a reasonably priced apartment & more!
Http//:www.ReasonableApartments.com

kar

stacey

Good for her. I never saw what she saw in him in the first place. Twenty-five years worth of earnings...that encompasses a lot of huge, blockbuster movies. Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

Rosie

well I hope the toilet scrubbing maide was worth the million and heartache he caused upon his wife and children not to metion embarrasment

venus

Who cares ! this stuff goes on all over every where. Who hasn't at one time or another be it male or female had a affair on their spouse.Come on people wise up there is no reason to make such a big issue over a divorce they are both human just like the rest of us just have more money that's all.

Gingersnap

Maria should have money since she comes from wealth, but take him to the bank anyway he deserves it. I will no*****ch any of his old movies ever again. Just what is it with some men that they can not be happy with what they have, great wife and kids. Go figure!!!!