Maria Shriver

Files for Divorce

7/1/2011 3:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Maria Shriver has pulled the trigger on her marriage ... she just filed for divorce from Arnold Schwarzenegger ... and we've learned, there is NO PRENUP.

Maria Shriver Divorce
In the divorce petition, obtained by TMZ, Shriver cites "irreconcilable differences" as her reason for ending the 25-year marriage.

Shriver is asking for spousal support and wants the judge to deny Arnold the right to ask for support for himself-- though it's highly unlikely he would.

Shriver is asking for joint custody of their minor children, who she names in the document as 17-year-old "Patrick Arnold Shriver Schwarzenegger" and 13-year-old "Christopher Sargent Shriver Schwarzenegger."

And, in the petition, filed by disso-queen Laura Wasser, Shriver is asking Arnold to pay the attorneys' fees of both parties.

As for the date Arnold and Maria separated ... it isn't specified in the divorce papers.

According to the docs, the property accumulated during the marriage will be divided at a later date.  And, sources tell TMZ, there is no prenup, so all of Arnold and Maria's earnings over the past quarter century will be divided 50/50.

Sources close to the couple tell TMZ ...  Arnold and Maria are on speaking terms and Arnold knew beforehand that she was filing divorce papers. Maria is telling friends she hopes this will be an easy and amicable divorce.

0701_arnold_maria_split_footer

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

Arnold lost his family, money and reputation for a roll in the hay. Why not just take a cold shower. I thought he was smart, but I guess he is dumb after all. Was it worth it? NO! He's been ERASED ! ! ! !

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Good luck for the people who work it out with a cheater. I for one think I am worth more than that and deserve only the best.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Googie Googie

Asta la vista Arnold. Get him where it hurts, his money.

Barbarascy Barbarascy

I'm actually sad to see them divorcing. But some things just can't be fixed. I'd say this is one of them.

jpierce26 jpierce26

can't help but being blunt....good for her he is a D-bag. The worst kind.

MIKE MIKE

GOOD! I Hope she takes the pig to the cleaners!

Paul Paul

Who's the "Terminator" now?

Superman Superman

Kinda sad. He pretty much came out of nowhere and practically begged her to marry him. Then after they marry, he cheats on her for decades with many women. Greedy sc*mbag forgot to count his blessings. Same story, different rich guy.

maurice

He should give up everything and a little more for just being with the jork. He didn't do anything for Calif. and didn't do anything for his wife of 25 years.

Canon940

The Terminnator terminates his own marriage. Whenever I see a man violating his marriage, I wonder why he has to go outside of it for companionship. Yea, there are some jerks that will cheat on any woman, but in some others, was the woman loving her man or not?

pooch

Very sad.... I like them both.

RBNYC

She looks more and more like an angry racoon with each passing year. There IS such a thing as taking the weight loss thing too far.

Geno

I couldn't imagine being married to a Republican. They lie, cheat and steal like they don't know any better!!!

New York

I still cannot for the life of me understand why she even considered dating this freak of a man in the first place, let alone marry him. He is the epitome of dysfunction. Will sleep with anything & anyone, a liar & a cheat. No loyalty here. Maria is so much better than him in every way. Kick him to the curb where he belongs with the rest of the garbage.

Kylie

I hope he goes broke.

Doug Hughes

Hey Marty

Do you understand that Shriver is a member of the Kennedy clan?
Last time I checked, not a single one of them rely on anyone for anything. I love Arnie as an actor, but as a human, if you need some on the side, at least tell the mother of your kids the jig is up. Good Lord man , imagine plunging that back into your wife, should be a crime!

Sonya in Tx

This leaves him free to bang Patty again!

JoanneVLavender

She wants her attorney's fees paid. Ah-nuld had better say hell-no to that one! She's not destitute.

claude

it takes two to tango

Ala

Its about Time! He's been cheating on her for soo long.

Martie

Maria is doing the right thing by divorcing Arnold. He is a s*** bag and his actions would have only gotten worse as time goes on. It's better that she get rid of him now so that she can start a better life for herself and her children. It won't be easy at first, but in the long run, she will learn that she did what had to be done.

jeri

I remember shortly after they married,.she appeared on a talk show looking suprisingly thin. She stated Arnold had put her on a diet,.actually transforming her into a health food/exercise regimine. I thought she looked fine before that,.but that she was giving herself over to what Arnold wanted. Women, Men,.don't let someone define who or what you should be,.it's abuse,.not Love. Be loved for WHO you are.

Donna S

Like the old saying goes "Once a cheater, always a cheater" Kick the cheater to the curb!