Smash Mouth Singer

The Kobayashi of EGGS!!!

7/6/2011 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Smash Mouth frontman Steve Harwell is gearing up to chow down roughly 1,800 calories in one sitting -- promising to polish off 24 EGGS ... if fans throw down $10,000 for charity.

0706_smashmouth_eggseater_tmz_COMPOSITE_BN
A rep for the band tells us the egg stunt wasn't Steve's idea -- that honor goes to a creative fan who posted the challenge on a website ... and word spread FAST.

We're told the band received hundreds of calls, emails, Facebook and Twitter messages BEGGING the frontman to take on the eggs ... and Steve decided that if fans could raise $10k for St. Jude's Children's Hospital ... he would do it.

Smash Mouth launched a fundraising website on Causes.com ... and they've already raised more than $6k in less than 24 hours ... so it's only a matter of time before Steve has a date with destiny.

As for preparation, we're told Steve will get to have his eggs cooked any way he wants ... as long as he eats them ALL.

BigMomma

Get mad at them damned eggs!

chicagannie

Good for him - St. Jude's is a very worthy charity. They will treat your child who has cancer even if you don't have insurance.

Personally, I think raw eggs would be easier to get down. Cooked will fill you up too fast.

Mike

Always knew Smash Mouth sucked balls, eggs seem close enough.

DatDogBitez

Honestly? Eating 24 eggs doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Scrambled up... a dozen eggs doesn't make as big a pile of food as you'd think. I think the vast majority of people I know, including myself, could eat 24 eggs. This is a lame challenge.

jay

as anyone who has seen this stunt performed on Jackass will know, the ending aint very pretty.

Awful

Eat the eggs Steve. Eat all the eggs. Smash them with your mouth.

coop666

Who?

steve

farts

some guy

Sissy... Paul Newman ate 50.

some guy

"What we have here... is FAILURE to eat 50 eggs."

some guy

Ahh... dunno what I'd do without me movies.

I mean, I'd have to, like, read or something.

gail

That's sad about his son. Who cares about the challenge - the money is going to a VERY worthy cause, and that's what is important.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2