« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger's Caddie: How Could You Fire Me?!?!?

7/20/2011 1:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's the latest in a long string of celebrity break-ups -- Tiger Woods and his longtime caddie Steve Williams have called it quits after 13 years ... but Steve says he's shocked by the move, especially because he stuck with Tiger throughout his mistress mayhem scandal.

0720_steve_tiger_BN_01

Tiger just announced the split on his website, writing, "I want to express my deepest gratitude to Stevie for all his help, but I think it's time for a change ... I wish [Steve] great success in the future."

So far, no replacement has been named.

But now, Steve has fired back -- saying, "After 13 years of loyal service needless to say this came as a shock. Given the circumstances of the past 18 months working through Tiger's scandal, a new coach and with it a major swing change ... I am very disappointed to end our very successful partnership at this time."

0720-steve-60-minutes-vidSteve -- who caddied for Tiger since 1999 -- famously gave an interview to "60 Minutes" after news broke about Tiger's cheating scandal, denying he ever knew anything about the golf legend's affairs.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

PRO US

just sayin 5 hours ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this guy say that he would have told on Tiger had he known about the affairs? That doesn't sound loyal to me.
--------------------------------------------------------

He didn't tell on Tiger and told the world he would have told if he knew something. Basically, he probably lied about not knowing anything and lied when he said he would have squealed if he knew anything. You can't get much more loyal than that. So, he was rewarded for his loyalty by Tiger firing him. Tiger is a class act.

Rageykiwi

I have met Steve on the speedway circuit here in New Zealand,hes a great honest guy that donates to charity and helps up and coming drivers.
Steve has stuck by him all these years and in the hard times recently so to be dumped is a shock.

Sloane

OBVIOUS THAT TIGER IS IN IT FOR TIGER

if he thinks that getting a new caddy will make his game any better than it has been snce the scandle broke loose- he's sadly mistaken

feel bad for Steve
but in some ways better for him if he caddys for someone he will have more respect for even if he's not always onthe top of the leader board.

a lot of the golfers new to the pro tour would benefit greatly from Steve's knowledge and ability to keep the golfer calm and focused

I assume now that they are hearing hear he is available, they will be contacting him

it will be fun and an interesting challenge for Steve to help bring out the best in a new generation of golfers

good luck Steve--you are so much classier than Tiger!!

Sandra

Wish Steve well and suggest Tiger's golf game will remain in the crapper! Karma is a wonderful thing!!

just sayin

Tiger's Caddie: How Could You Fire Me?!?!?Report 12 hours ago
just sayin 5 hours ago

--------------------------------------------------------

________________________________________________________________

Sorry, but your comment is pure speculation. If I had an employee who was privy to my personal inforamtion, he would be fired on the spot for saying he would snitch on me. Keep in mind, we are not talking about a crime.

UNFAN ME PLEASE!

You are right... it was not a crime... it was a sin. Funny how you pay either way. In this case a destroyed marriage, lost game, lost money, lost reputation,...... shall I go on ?.....

(but of course some people believe there is no such thing as "sin".....well if its not a crime, and not a sin...what is it?) QUACK! QUACK!

Jim

Woods is one of them use to was's, washed up, divorced, cheater that nobody wants to hear about unless he is suffering.

bophus

What most of you idiots dont realize is that golfers get new caddies all the time. 13 years is a very long run to be with one caddie. Swing coaches are in the same boat. When a golfer has to change his swing, the coach isnt always a good fit for the new swing.

Tiger has made steve a very rich man. How many other caddies have endorsements? The answer is zero.

Diana

This caddy is a spoiled POS. The way he's talking about Tiger is disgusting. The way he's talking he is only loyal as long as he is paid. Really nice gay. Working for Tiger all these years has made this guy over 9 million dollars. Tiger has a right to hire and fire anyone he wants to. Tiger clearly brought all his problems upon himself but this guy was not Tiger's friend.

Tanya

After reading some of these comments, I would have thought Tiger cheated on you personally. That was between him and his wife. Tiger has to make decisions for what is best for his career. The way he let him go was professional.

KnuckleDragger

Williams has made a LOT of money with Woods. Nothing is forever. My best advice to Williams would be to shut his pie hole, don't be a media *hore...and send out a few résumés. He's a caddy...not a celebrity. The only thing he's going to do by opening his mouth is give others a chance to voice their opinion about him.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4