Marcia Gay Harden Sues

You Can't Evict Me!!!

10/26/2011 5:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1026_marcia_gay_harden_getty_EX
Academy Award winner Marcia Gay Harden is being evicted from the kick ass Santa Monica home where she's been staying for several months ... but the actress claims she's getting screwed ... and now she's filed legal papers to buy herself some time.

According to legal docs obtained by TMZ, Marcia claims she signed a 1-year lease with the owners of the 4,200 square foot property back in August ... in which she agreed to pay $10k per month in rent ... plus a $20k security deposit.

But Marcia claims the owners of the property sold the place after she moved in ... and the NEW owners are trying to kick her to the curb ... with only 3 days notice.

In the docs, MGH says it just ain't fair ... claiming the OLD owners cashed her rent check for October without mentioning anything about a possible eviction ... and therefore, she's legally entitled to as much as 90 days notice before she has to be out.

SantaFeJack

She is in the right; I hope she prevails in court. Anyone who rents is on her side.

Abe

A three day notice would seem to indicate Marcia didn't pay her rent.

x

realist

If a property is sold after a lease is in place, the new owner must honor the lease.

Muppet

Wow I guess it isn't just the little guys that get screwed over by landlords! Sad.

niles

It's so sad to hear of another former star falling on hard times and being kicked into the streets. Can't something be done to provide shelter for these greats who once gave us so much enjoyment?

Bethy

I went through this myself earlier this year. The law says that the new owner must honor a legitimate lease *unless* the owner plans to occupy the property themselves. If that's the case, the owner must give the tenant 90 days notice of lease termination. She's absolutely right. The new owner should have either transferred the deposit to the new owner or refunded it to the tenant. In fact, the old owner should have, per CA state law, given the tenant a written notice of the sale detailing how the deposit was handled. There are a lot of other details... but she'll prevail. She deserves at least 90 notice to move *if* the new owner intends to live there. If not, she is allowed to stay through the lease.

Abe

Santa Monica has some really weird laws.

If they find a plastic grocery bag in Marcia's house, the cops can probably throw her out on the spot, and beat her with their billy clubs.

x

chris baldwin

damm straight she does...what is wrong with ppl anymore

Kaffee

If she's telling the truth, she will win. Somehow, I just don't believe her.

anonymous

Sounds about right Marcia, you have your rights, it is in Santa Monica after all, one of the friendliest places ever for renters. The owner is in big trouble.

K-Dog

I've actually met this woman and believe it or not, she flirted with me-so I hope she wins out.The way the story's set-up,it's like she was living on her own.I thought she was married.

Barbara

You go Marcia...you have the right to be there...

jmk

I think she is correct. I bet she wins.

raisethetaxesontherich

Marcia you pay ten thousand dollars a month to rent? You have money to burn,so you rent?

Marcia you need to pay more taxes,at least that money can be useful for another bailout!

Carl

I think she has more than 90 days. The new owners have to honor the lease.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments