Legendary GWAR Guitarist

Found Dead on Tour

11/3/2011 1:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1103_Cory_Smoot_getty_BN
Cory Smoot -- a founding member of the legendary speed metal band GWAR -- was found dead today while the band was traveling on its current tour.

Cory played guitar and was best known by his stage name, Flattus Maximus. He was found dead as the band was traveling from Minneapolis to Edmonton, Canada for an upcoming show according to a rep for the band.

GWAR lead singer David Brockie says in a statement, "There is no word as to the cause of death and the members of GWAR are completely shocked and devastated that this has occurred."

Among GWAR's biggest fans back in the 90's ... Beavis and Butt-head.

110311_beavis_still

rhett johnson

TMZ, he was not a founding member

anon.

R.I.P.

Suzieque

I'd commit suicide if I had to go to Edmonton too.

Melissa Bowen

He was my friend in middle and high school in Midlothian, Virginia - he joined Gwar in 2002...he was freaking talented. RIP Cory...*tear*

john johnson

r.i.p. they may have looked scary or even acted somewhat sadistic, at the end of the day, they are entertainers and human beings just like the rest of us. my condolences to his bandmates and his family.

Cartman

Oh crap, another opportunity for that runt Bam from Jackass to openly attention whore again. Being friends with him is a death sentence.

Rufus Greenjeans

GWAR is not a speed metal band. And Cory was the fourth guy to play Flattus, he joined the band in 2002.

My thoughts are with his family. Too young.

jason

"Acoustic guitar, if you think I play hard
well, you could have belonged to Steve Earle
or Charo or Gwar
I could sell you tomorrow
so bring me back my girl..."

-Magnetic Fields, "Acoustic Guitar"

RIP

cindy

Sorry the dude died, but aside from that.... the band sucked. Soooo stupid.

Mumra the Ever Living

You can tell how important and beloved this band is by the thousands, errr hundreds, umm well 10 or so comments made in the last three plus hours. Lets be honest for a moment - Flatulence Maximus IV was just some anonymous guitar player - they'll plug in a replacement to tonights show.

Mikavr

This band is a lot of fun to watch. Used to see them open for the Butthole Surfers back in college. I wonder what killed him..... anyway rest in peace.

Rob

Cory Smoot was not a founding member in Gwar. He joined the band in 2002, while still playing with his other band Mensrea. He was however the longest memeber of Gwar to play the role of Flattus Maximus.

Kita

He was an awesome dude. Not a founding member, but still he will be missed.

Metta Worldhate

Yeah, terrible he died, but not a founding member. GWAR was founded in 1984. He joined in 2002. You were only off by 18 years.

Fuck Celebrities

How the hell does a band nobody has ever heard of become legendary?

Especially such a bad one.

TMZ, get yourself another copywriter and stop grasping at straws for stories.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments