James Cameron

Sued for More than $2.5 BILLION

Over 'Avatar'

12/19/2011 2:35 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1219_james_avatar_EX_01
Turns out every sci-fi nerd on the planet had the idea for "Avatar" before James Cameron -- because the director is now being sued AGAIN for allegedly stealing the concept for the movie ... this time for more than $2 bil.

Bryant Moore -- a science fiction writer not-famous for his screenplays "Aquatica" and "Descendants: The Pollination" -- claims Cameron used the two screenplays as the basis for "Avatar."

In his lawsuit, Moore points out various similarities, including bioluminescent flora/plant life, unbreathable atmospheres, matriarch support of hero vs. heroine, spiritual connections to environment and reincarnation, appearance of mist in scene, sunlight to moonlight, crackling from gargantuan foliage, blue skin/green skin and battle scene on limbs/branches.

Moore is also going after 20th Century Fox and Cameron's production company.  He wants more than $1.5 billion in actual damages and more than $1 bil in punitives.

"Avatar" raked in more than $2.78 billion worldwide.

Glenda in Texas

"Avatar" reminded me of "Ferngully".

Criss

I would so love to make billions of dollars from simply doing a version of several other stories! I know for sure I could make it magical!
(Plus any excuse to meet Zoe Saldana, I really like her!)

eclipse787

What I want to know is why everyone gives a damn about a movie I saw when i was 7. Any one else here remember Pocahontas? I do, and I was pissed that i paid ten dollars to see a movie that I'd seen as a child. Even worse it made me realize how incredibly stupid my friends were when I had to listen to them talk about how amazing it was all the way home. James Camoran does not need to be sued he needs to be harassed with a stic*****il he gives us not only our money back, but more importantly the precious moments of our lives wasted watching this poor quality knock off. And no amount of shiny special effects are going to change my mind I've already done that dance with halo 3.

Karenwittle

its a block-buster hit all over world.

janet

Surprised it took this long for someone to come out sueing.

jrp61356

Truth is, there hasn't been an original idea in Hollywood (either film or television) in years. Whoever invented the sitcom should sue all these so-called comedy shows now. Same for doctor shows, and lawyer shows, and whatever shows. Been done, many many times.

Chris

They may have done it before, but Cameron did it better. Get over it.

Rhubino

I panned and zoomed once back in 1980. I'm suing Ken Burns.

kim purdy

This movie seemed to rip off a lot of ideas. I thought it was quite boring, except for the visuals of course. Anybody remember Fern gully from like 20 some years ago? Thats the rip off. Very similar story.

EHUTCH

pretty sure we all know that Avatar was a rip off of Fern Gully if anything...

Savvy Beotch

OMG...I thought of people going to another planet and then we fight them because we wnt something of theirs.....I should have 2 billion dollars for thinking of the OBVIOUS! These people, once proven idiot, should be taken behind the courthouses and shot for wasting taxpayer money and time of the court.

Tim Euler

Check out James battle with the letter T and A. Ever notice all of his films start with either letter?

Larry

i remember this movie when it was called ferngully.

Kathleenmary

If I had written it, I wouldn't want my name attached to it. I'd sue if they tried!
It was every stereotypical stupid science fiction cliché all rolled into one stinky piece of trash. It would be very easy to mistaken it for some other awful stupid piece of Sci-fi quackery. Cameron is good at special effects but couldn't write his way out of the men's room. And what about that god-awful big knife that the cyborg- man-robot thing was carrying? How clever was THAT?

DosomeResearch

I know you guy's at TMZ are a crack reporting staff- All going to school for journalism, and then doing the homework before commenting. (And is new's supposed to be Unbiased- just stating the facts of the issue?
Anyway- James Cameron Has been sued 14 times for "borrowing Idea's and story content" as well as 2 of those times using the EXACT script and putting his name on it- Umm who dare make this amazing comment- His ex-wife who on her own is pretty damn powerful in the biz. By the way- He settled 12 of those out of court for "undisclosed sums" Seem's to me- If you are in the right- why pay them to go away? Good reporting tmz- go get em.
Putz