Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

diogenes

what a shame. Big part of my past. prayers to his family.

Ed

Very sad. I loved the Monkees TV show. They had some good songs. RIP Davey.

Kris

So many good memories watching that show and wishing I was one of his many crushes! Will be missed by many. So very saddened :(

RT

Davy Jones DEAD....lower the flags to half staff!

IamPrivate

Awwwww, RIP my girlhood crush. :( His energy and that voice will be missed. I feel like I lost a BF I never had. And ditto, please find a more flattering picture of him-the one posted here does not do him honor in the least-shame on you TMZ.

Janny

I'm so sorry to hear of his passing.I hope the authorities will look at this very closely as his wife, who is 31 years younger, has a history of abusing him.When they married,not one of his daughters attended.

Connie Colvin

How terrible, he was so neat, just saw him interviewed a little while ago. I am just blown away by this horrible news. The Monkees were great, I am so sad now, so terribly sad. Met him briefly, he was so cute in the 60's and gave us so many good memories. My deepest sympathy to his family, and he will never be forgotten.

Pamela

I was around 10 years old when the Monkees were so popular, I had Davey Jones' posters in my room and my little heart just knew I could grow up and marry him. Through the years I have always smiled with nostalgia when I would see him in the media. Thank you Davey for being a part of my growing up years. I did not grow up to marry you, but coincidentally I did marry a man named David. We have been married almost 30 years and he has heard about my early crush many times. I will miss you

Brenda Pelon

Rest in peace Davy Jones. I too, had a crush on you when I was little. You were my first crush, in fact. A very talented man. You will be missed. Condolences to your family and friends.

Tawny

So sad and sorry to read this. Rest In Peace and Thank you for the GREAT entertainment and for "Daydream Believer"

RICH

RIP DAYDREAM BELIEVER

Rose

RIP DAVY, THANK YOU FOR THE WONDERFUL MEMORIES, YOU WILL BE MISSED!!!

Ed

Very sad. I loved their show. Great songs. I wish they could've done a reunion concert. RIP Davey

Betsy

How very very sad. Loved the Monkees back in the sixties and of course every girl was in love with Davey Jones. He will be missed. RIP

Sheila Cowan

Prayers going out to his family. He was a true musician.. A real class act.. Heaven just got a little sweeter with him there...He will be soo missed. Rest in Peace....