'Bachelor' Racism Lawsuit

Producers Encourage

White Power Mentality

4/18/2012 11:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0417_bachelor_bachelorette
The producers of "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" are responsible for encouraging racism across the country by refusing to cast black people in the shows' central roles -- this according to a new class action lawsuit.

Christopher Johnson and Nathaniel Claybrooks filed the lawsuit today in Tennessee federal court against the shows' producers -- claiming they both auditioned for "The Bachelor" in Nashville in August 2011 ... but were brazenly denied based solely on the color of their skin.

0417_nathan_chris_bachelor
Christopher and Nathaniel claim producers were afraid to cast them for fear of alienating "the show's majority-white viewership."

As a result, the guys claim producers are teaching the public how to be racist -- by demonstrating preferences for white relationships over non-white and interracial relationships.

They might have a point too ... because the show has never once cast a person of color -- black, Asian, Latino, whatever -- in the central role as Bachelor or Bachelorette.

"Bachelor" creator Michael Fleiss has even acknowledged the problem -- stating long before the lawsuit was filed ... "We always want to cast for ethnic diversity. It's just that for whatever reason, they don't come forward. I wish they would."

Chris and Nathaniel are now demanding a change in "Bachelor" policy -- requiring producers to "consider persons of color as finalists for the role of the Bachelor and the Bachelorette."

Oh yeah, they also want money -- an unspecified amount of punitive damages.

John the Lawyer

This is insane. It's not hiring, it's casting. Are they saying that one MUST cast? "I would like to be a bachelor?" Yea, well I want to be king of Arubistan. Besides, isn't the other argument that BET is racist and must be banned? Huh? Geeez, show me where in the law it says you have a RIGHT to be on a particular show.

OutridersGhost

Black man is pouting because he wasn't picked, gets jewish lawyer and starts the poor me we need diversity, I aint be feelin da love for my color movement. Reality is alot of people don't want to see a black bachelor. ABC will cave in to avoid negative publicity and once again blacks will get their way as the poor, innocent victims.

patty

they also don't have fat people, pierced, full sleeved tattooed, gay, poor, ugly, etc- it's their show, they cast ppl that appeal to their demographic, they aren't going to cast people that will loose their ratings, cuz then there wouldn't be a show - if some one doesn't like it, don't watch, let their sponsors know - it would be more effective

Poopey Poopstein

How come it's ok to have an all black TV show but not OK to have an all white TV show? Typical black double standard at work here.. along with a bit of "Gibs me some o dat money".

KIR

@quezcotl
@Disgusted

Stop bragging on the accomplishments of others and things that don't apply to a loser like you. I bet most white people don't even like you. lol You are pathetic. My suggestion to you is to focus more on self.

Genetics are changeable. This is a fact. Every European invention has been shared with other European Nations. This is a fact. European Nations deliberately withed information and knowledge from other races because of some misplaced superiority beliefs and for the purpose of enslavement and wealth acc mulation until for the most part the last 40 years for MOST African Nations who are now independent. This is a fact. Blacks Americans were not able to go to most schools and colleges, get loans nor have businesses that catered to everyone until recently. This is a fact. The black ghetto and black homes were not always dysfunctional. There was once a majority of black homes with men as the head of the household. From 1920 to 1960......... and black illegitimacy was once under 20%. This is a fact. My point is that these variables had more of an impact on the current state of African Nations and African Americans than anything else.

What is you point? You want to make yourself feel better by explicitly implying that blacks are inferior genetically to whites. Which doesn't say much for you sense millions of blacks have a higher IQ than you, are doing much better than you economically, academically and as I have just done intellectuality. Why don't you go back to storm front where everyone will blindly agree with you. Obviously, you get some perverse pleasure out of telling others that you are better than them. Why is that loser? Is your life that miserable?

Sheila

seriously???? WOW! How are they being racist? If I recall, isn't up to the bachelor/Bachelorette to decided who they end marrying?? They just want to make a big deal out of nothing and stir up nonsense.

Christina

I'd like to second that about BET..Also, the united negro college fund??? What about the 39 historically black colleges??If someone had the balls to start a united white college fund, who would be crying first??? Get real, life is unfair, grow a pair and deal with it.

Cromick

This show can discriminate anyone they want. Being on this show is not a job, it is not about housing, voting rights, or receiving a service rendered by a business. Being on a game show is not a right!

Shut up

Oh shut up, get a life! If you want to find love then do it in real life. You just wanted a tv gig. I watched the first guy talk on his stupid press conference saying he wanted a chance at love. Go get on for the Love of Ray J or BET bro. And I find it ironic your preaching race yet you have a black lawyer. If YOU weren't racist, get a white lawyer.

Fools.

jadedgurl

All of these racist comments just prove that it still exists...even though most of those who post these comments would probably post that racism does not exist. That being said, who wants to go on "The Bachelor" anyway? The chance of a successful marriage is less than the average. I'm all for diversity on television in regards to ethnicity, gender, etc but really? You couldn't pay me enough to go on that circus.

patty

ok - how in the world do these guys know what the procedure is, that no one else actually released that fast - have these guys ever seen a casting call?? half the people are sent away immediatly, just based in what producers are looking for, and what company ever sends you a letter saying you didn't get a job and saying specifically why - this is such crap!!!

Mike

So BET would be o.k. with a whole hour of White people right? I don't see an All white Entertainment channel. Whats the big deal? Why do Black people always try to play the race card?

Faust

Hmmm...maybe they weren't picked for the show because the producers found them to be whinny little bitches. Could be...

steve

I dont see blacks complaining about the lack of whites on the BET channel.

justsaying

It's a white show for white people. I'm black and I knew that was was way it was going to be the moment the show aired. The only thing I fault ABC for is that they didn't have the balls to admit it to the public.