Universal

Sues Over 'Battleship' Knockoff

4/27/2012 7:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0427-battleship-american-battleship
Universal Studios claims its new big budget movie "Battleship" is in jeopardy -- all thanks to a low budget straight-to-DVD knockoff that's coming out ... and now, it's suing.

Universal filed the lawsuit against The Asylum -- a production company that makes low-budget straight-to-DVD "mockbusters" with similar titles to their big budget inspirations ... i.e. "Titanic 2," "The Terminators," and "Transmorphers." Just look at its IMDb page.

Now, according to the lawsuit, Asylum's up to no good once again -- releasing a DVD called "American Battleship" on May 22nd ... just 4 days after the big budget "Battleship" is set for theatrical release in the U.S.

According to the lawsuit, Universal spent $100 million producing its film ... and $30 million promoting it in the U.S. alone -- and Asylum's trying to piggy back on its hard work.

To prove its point, Universal points out the laundry list of ways "American Battleship" is a rip-off -- including the plot ... and the hilariously similar movie posters (above).

According to the lawsuit, Universal is the exclusive licensee of the film rights to the classic naval combat board game -- and Asylum's stepping all over its business. (Universal also calls its movie "highly anticipated," but wishing doesn't make it so.)

Universal is suing for unspecified damages -- i.e. many, many millions.

Justin

I see Joseph Kony is one of the actors. I'm boycotting.

daxon

aw them poor baby's ;/ so sad to see starving people not able to eat...... so sad very sad

RODOLFO

Movie will S++K! Not watching this CR+P!

NobodySpecial

I love "The Asylum", their awful movies are the only reason I watch the SciFi network. I don't think you can make a worse film than the good people at "The Asylum". I look forward to seeing "American Battleship" more than the original.

w

I actually watched that titanic 2 movie cause I was bored, horrible yet funny as sh** cause the graphics were SO BAD.

ManiacalZebra

Didn't anyone tell them that battleships are obsolete and no longer used by the navy? That makes them, the board game, and both movies hopelessly out-of-date.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

They made a movie called Paranormal Entity, and it was better than Paranormal Activity.

B Doan

I would say to Mario and Carl....how desperate are you guys to be in a direct to disk movie? A Battleship clone? So Asylum copied a no-plot movie and gave it....a plot????

Kelly

I think the mockbusters are covered legally.

Rhubino

Apollo Creed's in it! Good to see him working.

Rotter

Some of Asylums crap is is good as Universals crap.

Tammy

I hate to tell Universal this, but I must: you wasted $30 million because your promotion makes the movie look like crap.

Delaware D

AMERICAN BATTELESHIP. hahaha. I love it!

dman

Heaven forbid their crappy movie is confused with another crappy movie. How will anyone ever sort them out?!

oneenigma4u

Really now they are saying something . I would go to blockbuster and rent all the straight-to-DVD knockoffs when there was a blockbuster .

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments