« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Seau Family

We're NOT Blaming NFL

for Junior's Death

5/3/2012 12:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0502_jenior_seau_getty_4
Junior Seau's family does NOT believe the NFL legend shot himself in the chest to spare his brain ... TMZ has learned.

Seau family sources tell us ... Junior never complained about concussion-related medical problems and didn't appear to be suffering from depression.

We're told Seau never really spoke about the ongoing legal battle between the NFL and retired players who claim the league concealed critical information about the long-term effects of concussions.

One family source was adamant ... if Junior was passionate about preserving his brain, he would've mentioned something to his family.  The family is still unsure why Junior would want to end his own life.

Seau's death instantly drew comparisons to the death of former Chicago Bears safety Dave Duerson -- who left a suicide note explaining he shot himself in the chest because he wanted his brain to be sent to the "NFL brain bank" for study.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

I luv u RPattz!

What's done is done.....I hope Junior is at peace now. Fight On!

PopTart

I keep wanting to say: What a loss. But then I see comments from people that say they have no sympathy for suicide. In a way, I agree with what they're saying, but someone Still died and that part of it is STILL very sad. In any regard. May he rest in peace and prayers to his family.

Anya

Geez, this format is so lame!

6one9

I feel bad for his 4 kids
that he left behind
who will never under stand
WHY
their daddy took his own life!

ChunkyLightning

Not trying to be rude but a guy who drove off a cliff and shot himself sounds like someone who has depression problems!

FreeWill

Ironically if you want this injuries to stop, remove the protective gear from the player and you'll see how they won't get hurt! Sound weird? Well, look at rugby, they play as hard but without the protective gear and have a lot injuries than NFL players.

Delaware D

RIP Junior. I think they should study his brain. I bet he would have wanted that!

ronin

Whew, that's a good thing, they're not blaming the NFL

BECAUSE ITS NOT THEIR FAULT !!!!!

Dennie

Has anyone given thought to the fact that this might have been an accidental discharge of his gun? He wasn't depressed, he wasn't suicidal, he wasn't preserving his brain for science. All we know for sure is that his gun went off and he is dead. Everything is speculation based of what prior NFL players have done.

TJ

Please remove the word "hate". Dislike is more acceptable.I prefer the old format.

She's baaaack

The new format sucks donkey.
Aside from nut cases who do so out of revenge, suicide stems from an illness that people can fight and fight for years but it breaks them down and takes all the good things away from them. No one is telling you people to pity him but if you don't understand what it takes to come to that point please try to get an understanding. The thing I find most disturbing from this whole thing is the cameras and microphones shoved into the face of his wailing, grief-stricken mother begging to her God to take her instead. I don't want to see any more of that.

Rocco

Brain injury had nothing to do with this. He struggled with the loss of his professional football career. It happens, and sometimes these guys just have too much pride to try and get help, and appear weak.

no shit..

All sounds weirded out to me...He did not sound as if he was suicidal .Blaming the NFL for his death.cause he loved it so much.STUPID.. Junior could of easily gotten a coaching job in any level of the sport to stay with it... SOMETHING fishy here...

Deadpool

I dont know who to blame, but I dont think Seau killed himself. This is all way to fishy for me to believe.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

The instantly drawn comparisons were by YOU, TMZ. TMZ in their constant need to be "first" at something .

How about being the first to bring some quality in journalism to the entertainment business? How about being first to display standards in spelling, proofreading, and grammar? How about first in not portraying yourselves in writing as horny 15 year old boys or some kind hipster-thug crossbreeds?

He could have been depressed and suicidal, sometimes people are really good at hiding it. You can't know what's going on in a person's head, no matter how well you think you know them.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments