'Bridesmaids'

SMACK in the Middle

Of Teacher Abuse Case

6/1/2012 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0531_malibu_high_bridesmaids_pcn
The movie "Bridesmaids" apparently had a huge impact on a Malibu teacher ... and an even bigger impact on a student the teacher repeatedly slapped -- just like in the movie.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... 9th grade Malibu High School student Dionne Evans went to cops in the last few days, claiming her teacher slapped her 6 times in the face because Dionne didn't bring her notebook to school on May 22, as the teacher had required.

According to the police report, the teacher made Evans stand in front of the class -- then asked, "Did you see 'Bridesmaids'?" before slapping her multiple times.

The teacher was referring to the scene in which one character literally tries to slap some sense into another.  Take a look.

0601-slap-scene-bridesmaids-wiig-video
We're told the teacher has already issued a written apology -- but Evans' family doesn't think it's enough ... so they hired legal eagle Donald Karpel, who we're told is looking at both criminal and civil options.

We've learned the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. is currently investigating the incident.

We contacted both the school and the teacher for comment -- so far, no word back.

Allison

OMG how does someone so STUPID get to be a teacher ? LOL what a tool

Tammy

Did the slapping work? I can't really comment b/c I grew up in a country were teachers have you hold out your hand in front of the class and hit you with a wooden paddle if you didn't do your work and would have much preferred the painless head tap when I ****ed up.

Del

I wish a teacher would touch my kid. No need for a lawyer til after I kicked her behind. Keep your hands off kids.

O_o

k - so bridesmaids was a MOOOOVIE...made for ENTERTAINMENT. slapping other people is no longer a widely accepted form of communication. maybe they should add that to the teachers prep curriculum? just a little "what not to do" course - can't hurt to be safe. for example, you don't want to STAB your students...you may want to refrain from flipping your students the bird...maybe try to skip throwing things at your students... these are just a few ideas, off the top of my head... =P

Ali

A written apology. For assault. LOL

DaveT

Only cowards beat on kids. Only a coward would beat up on someone 1/4 their size.
This is just more proof that teacher tenure is a bad thing, protecting teachers instead of firing them when they do something as despicable as beating up someone else's kid.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

They still paddle students in Texas. From what my kids tell me about their schoolmates, it's ineffective.

I am Spartacus

The teacher is obviously a moron and will be fired. Anyone else think that movie was ridiculously overrated. That movie got so much more credit than it deserved because it was a bunch of women and not men so they were praised for being crude like the men yet people overlooked the fact that it really wasn't funny.

Red Tie

I go to this school and everyone I talked to who was in that class when it happened say it didn't happen like this at all. They say the teacher lightly tapped the girl on the cheek with no malicious intent at all. I know the teacher, and she isn't like this at all. People saying the teacher needs to get beaten up in return are totally ignorant and closed-minded. Think before you post.

wordsmyth323

She tried to administer a little SLAP THERAPY. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0AzVZitAJQ

Student

I attend Malibu High and this was blown way out of proportion. This is not what happened at all.

Savvy1

Before you start feeling sorry for the girl.... Read all the facts. This girl was a punk.she had a smart ass mouth on her not to mention an attitude from hell. The teacher was not allowed to hit of corse but if anyone needed a good smack it was Evans (the girl). Now she has just made her family rich by pushing ppl to their limits and you watch... Her family will take that school for all they've got. What a country where you have no accountability for your child's actions!

AlohaArik

You people are such tools haha, I went to MHS, graduated 2011, had this teacher, and know this story is blown WAY out of proportion. My friends in the class said that what happened was that she only PRETENDED to slap this stupid 9th grader who obviously was damaged a long time before this if even that was too traumatic for her. She also jokingly did it to OTHER kids that day who forgot their homework, but were any of them complaining and bitching about it? I think not, because they know she would never actually mean to humiliate them and definitely not injure them. She's really enthusiastic and often times jumps around and shouts but she's never actually threatening or hurtful in any way to her students, to me personally she's even shown a great degree of interest in my well-being when my father came down with several illnesses. And now let's think about this source of information, TMZ, definitely the most trustworthy and honorable source. HAH, yeah right. Everyone knows TMZ and Malibu have hostile relations with one another ever since the infamous Matthew McConaughey at Little Dume incident where the local surfers pummeled the invasive and aggressive paparazzi. Now let's think about this, is it likely that this teacher ACTUALLY slapped this student and multiple others and yet only one was actually bothered and the rest haven't come forth? Not really to be honest, but now let's think.. is it likely that because this student is Black and the teacher is White that the likeliness of suing just for the chance to get money is high? Definitely. I mean I don't want to say that's the chief reason this is happening but... it's a litigious society nowadays and it seems like every opportunity to take money from the state people wanna jump at it.
I know this woman personally, me and my friends, and all the other kids in the class loved her and respected her because she loved and respected us. I think it's a shame what you people are doing to her, all this attention means she's definitely going to get fired now, and considering how good a teacher she actually was, that's really ****ed up. Way to go America, thank you TMZ. Go to hell.

AlohaArik

Elia

You forgot to ****ing mention the whole ENTIRE class denied it happened. She's a wonderful teacher and it's disgusting that this is being published. Shame on you, TMZ "journalist" at least try not to write biased articles. She is an amazing woman who would not do that. At the WORST she may have jokingly slapped her, I doubt she even touched her. The whole entire class will tell you it did not happen. **** you so much TMZ for trying to corner an innocent teacher by terrible biased journalism for a quick story. She's a wonderful person and I know this is blown way out of proportion.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments