« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Report Finds Paterno

Aided Sandusky Cover-Up

7/12/2012 8:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0712_jerry_sandusky_joe_01
Joe Paterno participated in a 13-year conspiracy to hide Jerry Sandusky's sexual crimes against children from authorities ...  so says a new report issued by investigators connected to the Sandusky case.

The Freeh Group --an independent investigative task force hired by the Penn State University Board of Trustees -- released its report moments ago ... and according to investigators, Paterno, along with the most senior leaders of PSU, "failed to protect against a child sexual predator harming children for over a decade."

In fact, the Freeh report concludes ... Paterno ... along with PSU president Graham Spanier, athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz "repeatedly concealed critical facts" in order to prevent bad publicity for the school.

According to the report, Paterno knew about allegations concerning Sandusky since at least March of 1998 ... but failed to take any action to prevent Sandusky from having contact with young children.

"They showed no concern about the victim," the report reads.

"At the very least, Mr Paterno could have alerted the entire football staff, in order to prevent Sandusky from bringing another child into the Lasch Building."

The report says Paterno failed to take immediate action after Mike McQueary told him about Sandusky raping a boy in the gym shower in Feb. 2001 because Paterno "did not want to interfere with people's weekend."

0711_sandusky_summary_tmz_sub
The Freeh report classifies PSU's non-action as "catastrophic failures."

Just last month, Sandusky was found guilty of 45 counts of child sexual abuse ... and will most likely spend the rest of his disgusting life rotting away in prison.

Joe Paterno died back in January at the age of 85.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Curtis

Anyone involved should be jail. I find this to be one of the most horrible crimes I have heard of. Those people stood silent all for money. I feel so much pitty for the victims. I hope they get all of JS money and I hope his wife is put out on the street. As alway, my heart goes out to the victims.

Shelley

When you are not saying NO, you are silently saying YES it's ok. That is what Joe Paterno and all involved did. Shame on them.

Bridget

Send all the people who helped cover this up to prison. Oh and put them in general population please.

bearforce1

Penn State renamed Padeo State

DOC

As a huge Ohio State fan an alumni I still had the utmost respect for a coach like Joe Paterno. In the current light of things with PSU and OSU and seemingly every single sport college or pro, my respect and interest is nonexistent. I have so many better things to do with my life and time other than idolize any sports figure again as long as I am breathing. Give them all a towell and stick them at the end of the local car wash. Most of them are tall enough to dry both sides of my car without walking around. As a fan, I cannot help but feel slightly guilty for this pressure to win at any cost so I am no longer a fan. I will spend the rest of my days trying to raise my grandson to support the worthy aspects of life.

bearforce1

Penn State renamed Paed State

bearforce1

I am so pleased to hear others have such violent reaction to this. I cannot think of a greater more harmful crime. Graham Spanier and those that knew are responsible for the absolute fear and misery of those children being raped. How did and can they sleep at night. Those poor poor children I just really can't imagine the terrible hurt they must have felt.

Baker

This reminds me of the Catholic Church cover up. It went on for 50 years and they just buried it b/c they didn't want the Catholic Church harmed in any way. No one went to jail for it not even the ones who kept circulating the priests to different churches. This is the same thing. And yet the alumni has raised millions more for this school. I wold think the ALUMNI would hold contributions down to show that PENN STATE will NOT put up with **** like this anymore. It all starts with the people and if the people do not rise up in protest to protect children then we are ALL lost.

bearforce1

Remove all reference of Joe Paterno from the school. Take down any pictures and statues.

bearforce1

Penn State should hand back any trophies won diuring this period because they were won the the blood of children being raped.

anony

The Paterno family should have kept their mouths shut. There was no way JoePa didn't know what was going on.

Anonymous

Now if we can only expose the Boy Scouts next. They have also been well-known to cover up pedophilia within their ranks.

russ

Paterno isn't any better than Sandusky, both are sick, demented old men, but one will get his punishment from someone who knows all the facts....hehehe

Jess

They made a statue which will immortalize paterno forever at psu
I have mixed feelings as a pa girl who's always loved psu it's a sad day

Zorbitor