« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE

Apologizes for

Kobe Bryant Rape Joke

7/31/2012 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0730_wrestler_kobe_bryant_wwe_article
The WWE has issued an full apology after an on-air personality joked that one of the wrestlers was "like Kobe Bryant at a hotel in Colorado ... he's unstoppable."

It all went down during a live broadcast of "Monday Night Raw" ... when a manager named Abraham Washington -- who was wearing a live mic -- was ringside for a match involving a wrestler named Titus O'Neil ... and during the action, A.W. let the Kobe crack fly.

The comment is an obvious reference to Kobe's 2003 sexual assault case -- when he was accused of raping a woman in his hotel room in Eagle, Colorado. The accuser eventually reached a settlement with Kobe and dropped her case.

A rep for the WWE has issued a statement to TMZ ... telling us, "A.W. made an inappropriate comment and WWE immediately apologized."

The rep adds, "WWE has taken appropriate action in the matter." It's unclear what kind of "action" the org. has decided to take.

Sources tell us A.W. "felt horrible" after he made the comment ... claiming he simply "got caught up in the moment" ... and realizes the comment could be hurtful to rape victims and their families.

A.W. immediately apologized to WWE honchos, including the McMahon family, and several wrestlers ... and has also vowed to refrain from making similar comments in the future.

update_bar
10:20 PM PT -- Washington has issued an apology on Twitter ... calling his comments "inappropriate and insensitive."

He adds, "I went too far with that joke."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Blackness Enveloping

Of course the viewers think it's funny. Only inbred hillbillies watch this ****. Now squeal like a pig, boy!

robert chowaniec

Why apologize for the truth,he is a rapist!!

arale norimaki

that so 2003

HHH *********s the boss's daughter and thus gets to stay champion all the time.

EastCoastChopper

What, Dane Cook can make a Aurora Theatre joke - and WWE cannot joke about a rapist who plays basketball?

KIWIDIGGLER

It wasnt rape because he paid her off, that makes her a whore.... if it was rape she would have sent him to jail

batterup

Offensive AND funny. Dane Cook, you takin notes?

Jaymalls

If it was a white athlete, you guys would be saying "he went to far..." "He should be fired!" But since it's Kobe Bryant, you guys are like "Why Apologize?"

Allen Ridak

Reminds me of the time I offered my dad oral. He just kinda looked at me funny and backed away. A couple weeks later, my parents said it'd be best if I "moved on out". To this day, I don't know if the two incidents were related in any way..

ChloeMarie

too little, too late

AceBobcat

Lol oh A.W.

Seriously though. WWE is a PG show now. There is no such place for that kind of humor according to the McMahons. I, however, found it rather funny. For real, they're probably gonna take A-dub's mic away for that.

Whatever

What I remember quite clearly about the accused's story before she settled and when she was talking was that she clearly felt raped and was not in a consensual situation with Kobe Bryant. That, to me, is rape. Money made that story go away, which doesn't help other victims, but it helped her, I guess. The joke doesn't bother me because I remember how much I believed her.

Joey Boots

im all for crude jokes but that was just not funny.

Jeremy

If The Rock had made the same joke..there would be no apology and it would've trended on Twitter.

Where was Britney?

MadCharles

Didn't he pay his way out of a rape charge ?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments