« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Skateboard Company

Backlash Over

Asian Slur T-Shirt

8/2/2012 12:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0801_gooks_of_hazzard_article_2
A major skateboard company is being accused of putting "racism for sale" ... after selling a shirt featuring two Asian men under the words, "Gooks of Hazzard."

The company under fire is Baker Skateboards ... which is owned by skating legend Andrew Reynolds ... who's been featured as a character in several of the Tony Hawk Pro Skater video games.

Baker is currently selling the "Hazzard" shirt on its website. The shirt features two Asian men in a car named the "General Li." One of the men is pro skater Don "The Nuge" Nguyen -- who's sponsored by Baker.

The shirt also features a tagline, "Good Orr Boys" ... a play on the stereotype of an Asian accent.

But while it appears The Nuge approves of the shirt, the Asian American Justice Center feels differently ... a rep for the organization tells us it's "unacceptable for Baker Skateboards to create a depiction of Asian Americans which uses racial slurs and perpetuates racist stereotypes.”

The org. adds, "Baker Skateboards, and the outlets that sell this shirt, should be aware that use of the term 'gook' on their apparel is offensive and quite simply amounts to racism for sale. No one should seek to profit from racism.”

We reached out to Baker Skateboards -- as well as Don “The Nuge” Nguyen -- so far, no word back from either.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

CriticXtreme

If you're are a minority, sitting in front of the TV to watch the Dukes of Hazzard, when the song starts and hear these words - "Just the good ol' boys", you should be changing the channel.

JimmydeansausageCo.

That is awesome!

That god for free speech and enterprise.

Made my day.

deluca

I wonder how the black community and the media would respond if this company had come up with the same design, but with black people..."The Spooks of Hazard". Would people find it offensive? Would people dismiss complaints of racism as being "too sensitive"?

NocturnalDirtPeople

That shirt is so sick.

ghlsalg

i think it's hilarious - chillax people - remember how to laugh :)

truth hurts

A rude slur would be offensive to me. I'll never understand people that don't get it and say lighten up. If the shoe was on the other foot then the drama would unfold. Key word - empathy.

The Neko Nation

Racism against Asians is acceptable in America. If it was against blacks there would be an outrage.

Cori

People who have never experienced overt racism are very passive. However, if you would ask the view of your parents or grandparents, I am sure you will get a different view. Gooks and Japs are harsh reminders of the history in America.

Cartoon network and other modern media desensitized the younger generation to what is offensive to others. Are you brave enough to wear this shirt on casual day at work? I dare you

jokerchick

bunch of inbred hicks

mousetrap

This is one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time. "The Gooks of Hazzard". Hahahaaaa! A couple of Asians on a souped up Japanese car called the General Li. Too much. Lighten up people, you know it is funny as hell.

Kevin

I'm Asian and I have no problem with this. LOL

thrashin

**** the american asian justice center. BAKER 4 LIFE HOMIE!!!!!!!!

SinisterMotive

Only about 8 years late to rip that idea off.

Clara

A-HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!! The Radiation J@pz and Agent Orange G00kz who find this offensive need to lighten. Now I want the G00k and J@p who designed this shirt 2 go fix me up some RAT MEAT. I hear g00kz have a specialty in rat meat!! ROFL!!!

Clara

LMFAO!!! TOO FUNNY!!! The Radiation J@pz and Agent Orange G00kz are S0000 funny. J@pz and g00kz know how to learn to laugh at themselves!!!!! Now go whip me up sum Agent Orange Rat Meat! I hear g00kz and j@pz have a specialty on that!!