Rick Springfield

Strikes Deal in DUI Case

Won't Be Jessie's Prison Bitch

8/9/2012 9:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0809_rick_springfield_articled_tmzRick Springfield just got off EASY in his DUI case ... the one in which he allegedly threatened to kill a deputy sheriff ... TMZ has learned the singer cut a deal and won't have to spend a single minute behind bars.

TMZ broke the story ... Springfield was arrested in May 2011 after cops in Malibu pulled over his 1963 Corvette Stingray ... and smelled booze.  Sources tell TMZ Rick threatened to kill the deputy and his family if he had the car towed.

Springfield was charged with DUI ... but today, we've learned he cut a plea deal with prosecutors ... in which they agreed to drop the DUI charges in exchange for a no contest plea to reckless driving.

As party of the deal, Rick was put on 3 years probation ... and ordered to attend a 2 month traffic program.

We could rehash the maximum sentence Rick was facing, but the point is probably moot.

Majestik

I hope he's back on the wagon for his, the wife and kids sake. Maybe getting back to touring next month will give him something to do other than drink. Good luck Rick, I just might come see you in Sept. at the PNE grounds.

TJ

Why does this make me think of Justin Bieber?? (the future?)

Phishie from Philly

Rick got off easy because the judges daughter is Jessie's Girl!

Phishie from Philly

DaveT

...I'm pickin' up my baby tonight...though her daddy's makin' trouble, it'll be alright...I'm workin' hard, I don't know why...I'm like a workin' class dog and I just get by-ee...Love is alriiiiiight tonight...

ju

I dont get why all these actors or singers alys get special treatment in these dui cases im tired of it my sister inlaw was killed by a drunken driver that served 2 years then went out and hit someone else why do these stars get off easy this needs to stop

The Masked Tweeter

Dr Noah Drake wont be tossin' any salad...at least not in jail. Follow me on twitter @MaskedTweeterX

Jody

And this is a prime example why so many people are killed each year by drunk drivers. They know nothing is going to happen to them until they do kill someone, and even then, they might spend 4 years in prison.

Mason H

From now on, I hope anyone who's a non celebrity who's arrested for a DUI in Mailbu or the surround area pleas the "Rick Springfield" defense. It's ridiculous that he threatened to kill a cop and his family AND has a DUI and is getting off so easily. He must have promised to send the judge a signed copy of his latest hit RECORD from 1985!!!!!

kerri

I think punishment should be the same for everyone. what is the difference of a celebrity taking people's lives in jeopardy by drunk driving as opposed to anyone else...we should all be equal!

tonya ramos

"But the point is probably moot!" That's funny!

DoubleTalkinJive

what is with the stars threats to kill officers when they are arrested? Bring up more charges when they do that ****!

US UN Peacekeeper

Dude,We have MASSIVE High International Court lawsuits against the Calif.police and CHP-we caught them racketeering in INTERNATIONALY illegal war criminal equip.-you know my mom-we are Wright Brother relatives-these cops can't even get along with UN Peacekeepers and tried to force me to retire my UN Vehicle,-we have black boxes on them full of them lying-report them here-they already have UN evidence otp.informationdesk@icc-cpi.int)

US UN Peacekeeper

bahhh

So he was more comfortable driving his 'vette around all drunked up, possibly wrecking the car, not to mention hurting himself or others, but damm his car can NOT be towed!! :eyeroll: Hopefully he can stop drinking...before he becomes another sad casualty....Get well Rick!!! We want to see you around a lot longer!! Be well and get well!!

ellessee

I saw him in Tornoto in the spring, unfortunately, he hadn't stopped drinking and he isn't remorsefull. As a matter of fact, just the opposite. He made a remarke that murders were better than actors, and he good friend Yannick Bisson was in the audience - driving him around that night. I think Yannick wasn't happy by the end of that evening with Rick, as by the end of the weekend, Rick was telling the story in a concert about it in Verona, NY. Drinking can cost you - friends and fans... I know I wasn't happy with his actions that evening either. Turned me off. I'd plunked down $1,000 for the benefit that weekend, and surely wished I hadn't after the way he'd acted. It wasn't pretty and he wasn't pretty as a drunk. I surely feel sorry for his family if that's how he if that's how he gets - and I wouldn't be happy if I were that Deputy if I had been threatened like that. I'm sorry no one deserved to be treated like that... Even if you are a rock star or not... They still get dressed one pant leg at a time like we do... They ain't that special... that they have to treat people like crap.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments