« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Art Modell

Ex-Baltimore Ravens

Owner Dies at 87

9/6/2012 6:07 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0906_art_modell_ravens_01
NFL legend Art Modell -- who owned the Cleveland Browns, which became the Baltimore Ravens -- died this morning ... this according to a rep for the Ravens.

Modell -- who was 87-years-old -- had been admitted to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Maryland on Wednesday ... but it's unclear why.

Modell was a key figure in negotiating the NFL's huge contracts with the TV networks over the years ... and played a major role in the creation and success of Monday Night Football.

Modell owned the Browns from 1961 to 1995 ... and then moved the organization to Baltimore, where they became the Ravens ... and helped put together the Super Bowl team of 2000.

He sold the team in 2004, but still retained a 1% ownership and kept an office at Ravens headquarters.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Jim in Cali

Steelers only team that voted against Modell's move to Baltimore. Rooney's understood how important football was to Cleveland. Modell only cared about money that's why he took his team to Baltimore. He could care less about the fans.

Sinibaldi

Poesía.

Poesía
inquieta,
caliente
mañana que
viene en
silencio como
un ave cansado
en el llanto
del sol....

Francesco Sinibaldi

PaleRider

thanks Art.

You made nfl fans around the world smile when you moved the team and that biggest piece of crap fan in the history of the NFL - Big Dawg was on every TV channel crying like a baby.

Art you will never be as big as a piece of crap as he was.

favor

Hello, my beloved,(favorsambo30@yahoo.com )
I want to be your friend (I mean very serious ones), please contact me through (favorsambo30@yahoo.com), so I can send you some of my pictures and details. I'm waiting for you, my name is favor

Greg

I'm sure Cleveland fans are celebrating like I did when Georgia Frontiere finally kicked the bucket.

Kymmie

Art Modell took the Browns from Cleveland. In doing so, he single-handedly broke the hearts of most everyone from Northeastern Ohio. I am sorry for his family's loss, but he was a greedy, self-centered little man!

Mulholland Drive

And with that, the curse is finally broken!!!! The Browns will be victorious this season and become Super Bowl Champions!!!!

Nostradamus

Aw man, right before the season kicks off.

cdevall