« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NFL Star Torrey Smith

Stellar Game

Helped Family Grieve

9/24/2012 12:08 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0924_torrey_game
Torrey Smith's family is incredibly proud of the way the NFL star played in last night's Ravens vs. Patriots game ... telling TMZ, his performance was the ultimate tribute to his younger brother, who died just hours before Torrey took the field.

We spoke with Torrey's grandmother, Mary Smith, who tells us Torrey called her to let her know he would be playing and dedicating the game to his 19-year-old brother Tevin Jones who passed away in a motorcycle crash early Sunday morning.

Mary tells us Torrey didn't have to call ... she already knew he was going to play -- telling us, "He wanted to get out there and win that game for his brother and the Lord made that happen for him."

0925_torrey_smith_twitter
Mary says Smith's entire family gathered at her home in Virginia to watch Torrey play -- "I said look at my grandson. He’s gonna win that game. They have to win the game.”

FYI -- Torrey played the game of his life ... scoring 2 TDs in the Ravens' incredible come-from-behind victory.

Mary says the family was very emotional during the game ... crying both tears of joy and sadness.

“[When he scored his first touchdown] it was wonderful" ... "That was for his little brother.”

Torrey is expected to return home sometime today to help the family with funeral arrangements.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

bjay

Don't know how he held it together. I also heard the football he scored the TD with will be buried with his little brother. Very sad story.

Krysalys

what would the world do without football. #sarcasm

susan

My condolences to the Smith family. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. RIP Tevin. Such a very sad and tragic loss.

John Basedow

He had one of the most memorable performances in NFL history last night. I'm glad they won and he did so well. My condolences.

KnuckleDragger

In a related story, the Patriots have filed a rules complaint with the NFL in regards to Mary's God taking sides with an activity that really requires no Divine Intervention.

Chrissy

GO RAVENS! Love ya Torrey :)

Lynda Jones-owings

May God be with you and your Family!!

RomneyIsACurse

who cares?

SHELEADA

SUCH A TRAGEDY, MY HEART GOE SOUT TO THE ENTIRE SMITH/JONES FAMILY, MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PARADISE

Mali

Poor guy

Life in 20 million years...

Well I guess that`s a big NO! NO! from God! Keep up with the rat race and see you at the finishing line.

The New Improved Sock Puppet

It will be a cold day in hell before I cheer the Ravens but I have to give credit where credit is due. There's a man with courage. I hope he and his family have peace.

Christina

His brother had the best seat to this magnificent game :) May peace be with them in their time of grief and always.

Seldombinlaid

Rest in Peace Tevin. God Bless You, and your Family at this tough time.

Sociopaths are Sad

I have never understood how when someone dies, a family member can keep playing and even *win* a game and that's supposed to be a good thing. It seems incredibly COLD to me. Win the game for his little brother? WHAT? Does his little brother CARE? He's DEAD, for God's sake. Torry didn't win the game for his little brother, he won it for HIMSELF. If he really cared about his little brother, he wouldn't have been able to play, let alone win. SMH ... And now they want public kudos and want to profit off the little brother's death.
How selfishness, uncaring, and narcissism is turned into a good thing is incredible to me.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments