« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Beyonce

Sings National Anthem LIVE

Suck It, Haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/31/2013 12:00 PM PST UPDATED: 1/31/2013 12:52 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Beyonce was on a mission today to PROVE she can sing the national anthem like a pro – belting out a LIVE version of "The Star-Spangled Banner” moments ago on TV … without the help of a backing track ... and she KILLED IT.

Beyonce was at the news conference for her upcoming Super Bowl halftime show when she launched into the impromptu performance -- and when she finished the song, she simply said, “Any questions?”

During the conference, Bey was asked about the lip-syncing situation at the Presidential Inauguration last week, and she admitted she used a backing track -- claiming, "I am a perfectionist ... I did not have time to rehearse with the orchestra [at the Inauguration]. It was a live television show and a very important moment for me."

013113_beyonce_inauguration
Beyonce added, "Due to the weather, due to the delay, due to no proper sound check, I did not feel comfortable taking the risk … so I decided to sing along with my pre-recorded track, which is very common in the music industry. And I’m very proud of my performance."

A reporter then asked Beyonce if she planned to sing live at the Super Bowl, and she replied vaguely, "I always sing live" ... but she didn't say whether she planned to use a backing track as well.

When asked about a possible Destiny’s Child reunion at this Sunday's halftime show – Beyonce hedged on the answer.

So let this settle it once and for all ... girl can sing.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Lynn

I personally couldn't care less if Beyonce lip-syncs or not. Just don't act like it was some great and glorious live performance when it wasn't. Be honest and up front about the lip-syncing and why it was lip-synced and most people would have understood and this would not have been that big of a deal. IMO

iamshizz

Who's the idiot trolling and unliking comments that say God bless Yu? Lol sick world. Beyonce keep lip singing....I love to see these buttholes blow steam lol

J.E.B.

This doesn't prove ANYTHING. She still lip-synced at what-zis-name's inauguration.

W00T

LUV her in both versions!
as someone said earlier, this is not one of the moments that you can afford to mess up, so its completely okay if she lip syncing.

Valorie

Let's see. Beyonce didn't have time to PRACTICE for Obama's Inauguration, but had plenty of time to PRACTICE for Superbowl??? Sounds to me that Beyonce has her priorities confused! Kelly Clarkson sang LIVE in the weather, with the orchestra, and any other excuses that Beyonce has. Beyonce stopped the orchestra and everybody else from doing their job because Inauguration Day was about BEYONCE and not the PRESIDENT.
Beyonce says: Are there any questions rather arrogantly: And I say: Why is Superbowl more important to you than Obama's Inauguration???

pat

I don't know which network will be broadcasting the game but you can be sure they're having meetings to decide if they show her from an angle that would remove all doubt that she is indeed lip-synching. I would love it.l

justme111

I am not a Beyonce fan, but I don't mind people that are. However, "fans" can you please purchase a thesaurus and find another word other than "hater" you sound extremely limited in your vocabulary and your thinking is lazy as hell.

Charles

I found this funny: Beyonce didn't think the inaugeration was imortant enough for her to sing the anthem live, but when asked if she'll sing the superbowl live, she said 'OH, YEAH, I'm definitely singling live.....THIS is what I was born for.'

Nice one.

Valorie

The Inauguration is a HISTORICAL event. She didn't have TIME to practice with the orchestra?? Beyonce INSULTED and DISRESPECTED the President of the United States and everybody else! She acted extremely SELFISH and LOW CLASS. If she had problems, there are PLENTY of great singers that would have been HONORED to sing in her place! I don't want to ever hear her talk or sing ever again! I wish(and I'm sure alot of other people wish) that she would just go away(like she should have on Inauguration Day).

Charles

ParodyAccount

She did not lip synch, she sang over a backing track. Very common, especially for an event with this many people. Not for vocal purposes, for sound purposes. Did you idiots really doubt the woman can sing? She probably pulled her in-ears out because there was a feedback loop. If you don't know what that means, you probably shouldn't comment negatively here.

Danielle123

LOL. Obama is not mad at Beyonce so why are you all taking it upon yourselves to be upset for him? And FYI, she did not lip sync. She sang over a backtrack, which everyone in the music industry does, to eliminate sound issues, not vocal issues. The media put the words lip sync to attract people, knowing good and well that Beyonce was not mouthing any words. Professionals have came out and stated that she was not lip syncing (Yes. News stations actually had professionals come out. I mean really?), yet these same news stations continued to publish the story as her lip syncing. People love to believe the worst even when the truth is right in front of them. Also, I simply cannot understand why people are complaining in regards to her using a backtrack as none of you all paid to see her perform. You all were watching it on your couches, for free. What is there to complain about?

Rex

First of all, why even act like you are singing anymore? Just stand up there and smile and "parade" wave. Secondly - who cares about this woman?

Carol Alicea

Seriously, What a shame America Beyonce's situation
is just as rediculous as Gabby Douglas and her hair.
Really !!! have we stooped that low that everything is hammered to the max through the media. I am disgusted, we need to check ourself as a nation.

be real

i just have 2 more question

1. DID IT TAKE HER 2 WEEKS TO READ AND LEARN THE LYRICS
OR
2. DID IT TAKE HER TWO WEEKS TO COME UP WITH THAT LIE

SHE DID LOOK GREAT BUT SOUDNED DUMB AS TWO ROCKS HAVINGA CONVO.

OH BEYONCE FANS- FACT:
SHE DID LIP SING....

ARE HER PEPSI CANS GONNA TURN INTO DR PEPPER.

SHE SH!TTED ON USA. sHE CAN SING LIVE FOR SUPER BOWL BUT NOT THE USA.. WOW

Previous 15 Comments | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments