« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jason Collins

Twitter Death Threats

After Gay Announcement

5/1/2013 1:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0501_jason_collins
It's not all love for the first major (active) pro athlete to come out of the closet ... NBA player Jason Collins has also been the target of online death threats since announcing he's gay.

The homophobic threats began appearing on Twitter right after Jason's big coming-out interview with Sports Illustrated. Among the venom ...

-- "Yous a dead f****t talkn on tv Boy."
-- "Listening to Jason Collins describe his gayness as 'beautiful' makes me wanna puke. And kill him."
-- "Jason collins comes out the closet! Kill that biiitttchhhh!!!"
-- "First jason collins say he gay.. Now he on espn w lipgloss on  kill him now !!!"
-- "Jason Collins should get the death penalty lol how u a 7 foot gay dude lol the west is crazy smh"

In the S.I. article, Collins says he doesn't expect everyone to embrace him ... but it's unclear if he expected this kind of hatred.

We reached out to Collins for comment -- so far, no word back.

0429_openly_gay_athletes_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

patsfan4life

2 steps forward , one giant leap back..smh

dezzidrizzy

I'm 26 yrs old, I'm black and I'm straight...lol

lovegarrison

Its really his business who he chose to share his body parts with. How these fools gonna threaten to take him out, for loving who he choose? What they gonna do ? genocide the whole gay population.

Soda pop

He should have his own locker room

Sara

Nothing serious it's all jokes wow that didn't even need that attention

Jules

I am horrified by the haters. Shame on them. TMZ should never have run this piece. Why can't everyone just LOVE each other? I am very saddened to read this, and TMZ is irresponsible for retweeting the hatred. I admire and respect Jason Collins.

Fred Thompson

I guess it's a rule now....3 out of 4 of the stories at the top of the page on TMZ must be about gay people that no one has ever heard of. Way to serve your audience Harvey.

dreamer4u

really?? The idiot just dug his own grave..He was better off keeping his big mouth SHUT!!! Now he deserves everything he gets...

tgrfan42069

threaten a little 14 year old girl for standing up for traditional marriage media doesnt care..threaten a gay person and there is outrage lol liberalism is a mental disorder.

Snowballx

wow

Matt27

I think being gay is wrong but so are death threats but lets be real the media especially the sports media needs to stop pushing this gay agenda on people they should be focused on sports only get off the agenda sports illustrated!

Matt27

it makes me sick Tim Tebow was bashed by the media for being a Christian but somehow Jason Collins a brave hero let's be real here folks!

MsMere

In my opinion the comments regarding the article don't show a lot of objectivity. I am against the death threats made against Jason Collins AND the death threats made against the 14 yr old girl. I hope both have support and think they both are courageous for being willing to stand up for what they believe in.

Karvey Kardashian

What is with all of these heterophobic stories? See? Anyone can add phobic at the end of a word. Try it.

ColtBaby35

Dude it's the Internet it don't matter who you are. You are going to get hate