« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jason Collins

Twitter Death Threats

After Gay Announcement

5/1/2013 1:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0501_jason_collins
It's not all love for the first major (active) pro athlete to come out of the closet ... NBA player Jason Collins has also been the target of online death threats since announcing he's gay.

The homophobic threats began appearing on Twitter right after Jason's big coming-out interview with Sports Illustrated. Among the venom ...

-- "Yous a dead f****t talkn on tv Boy."
-- "Listening to Jason Collins describe his gayness as 'beautiful' makes me wanna puke. And kill him."
-- "Jason collins comes out the closet! Kill that biiitttchhhh!!!"
-- "First jason collins say he gay.. Now he on espn w lipgloss on  kill him now !!!"
-- "Jason Collins should get the death penalty lol how u a 7 foot gay dude lol the west is crazy smh"

In the S.I. article, Collins says he doesn't expect everyone to embrace him ... but it's unclear if he expected this kind of hatred.

We reached out to Collins for comment -- so far, no word back.

0429_openly_gay_athletes_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Honest op

Not nearly as bad as the racist comments on TMZ

omie

put him on the cross.what does he think none will think about he,s coming out?be happy?go to hell.

AnnaR

Not at all surprised by the vile comments, ugliness seems to be the norm these days. This society is doomed – Jesus take the wheel and turn this rig into a wall already!

marvin nubwaxer

i am all over the web and especially political sites that have a comment section. the level of rabid ignorance, hatered and racism is something i have never seen in my 62 years here on earth.
i have no idea who this guy is but i hope there is some investigation into the death threats that ends in arrests and prosecution.
i also thought it was the most disgraceful threats ever when rebecca black was threatened for a song that got at least 160... million views. small ignorant bigots have no life and resent everyone who works above their minimum wage pay grade and moronic iq level.

Art Fugue

I'm sure these death threats are from people who oppose homosexuality because they are principled Christians. :roll

BellaJ

That is sad. Live and let live

ioomian

So now as a non gay nnba player do I have a rite to my sexuality? Must I share a locker room with a man who looks or possibly views me as a poential sex mate? Where are my rites! LAWSUITE!!! This guy is gonna single handed ruin of not dismantle the NBA! Keep watching. Its not ok with everyone & thats also a right!

CamJ

These comments are beyond homophobic...they're sociopathic

OS2Guy

The FBI and government authorities should be tracking these haters down and taking action against them for the threats. These haters are very sick.

jimi

sad

joethaplumber

Wow! really sounds like the next Boston bombers right their. smh (not)

GoldenAngel

If I remember correctly we are all born alone and DIE alone. So this man's sexuality is not mine to judge. I got my own SINS to right.

shannon

All of the people in here obsessed with gay sex need to take a good look at themselves. I think it is so strange how when someone comes out, all bigots do is complain how you do not want someones sex life shoved in your face, yet you are all the first to let your imagination give you detailed fantasies about what is going on in someones bedroom. He said he was gay, he did not talk about his sex life.
When I tell people I am married nobody freaks out and tells me to keep my sexual activity to myself. What if the difference?

paul a.

Twitter death threats are bulls%^^t! Anyone who would do that cant be that dangerous.

4reallikecomon

ADAM AND EVE...NOT ADAM AND STEVE....