Paula Deen

I've Used the N-Word

... But I'm NOT Racist

6/19/2013 11:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0619-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
11:52 AM PT -- Paula's rep issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

gray-bar-update
When Paula Deen was asked, under oath, if she has ever used the N-word -- she responded, "Yes, of course" ... and the shocking admission was all captured on tape.

Deen was being deposed in connection with a pending sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee who claims she was subjected to a barrage of racist, sexist and generally inappropriate comments while she worked at Paula's Oyster House restaurant in Georgia.

Here are the highlights from the jaw-dropping depo:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Paula: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Paula: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Paula: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Paula: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Paula: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Paula: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?
Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

We reached out to Paula for comment -- so far, no word back.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

cajuncreole

I agree w Truth!!! Everyone at TMZ has used that word. So what. Can we get some real celebrity T an A news instead of this crap please!!!!

janet

whats the big deal blacks call each other *****s all the time like it's a term of endearment.

I don't know of any white people going around calling themselves crackers.

Guess it's the old double standard at work.

Justanother411

But it's okay to call someone a White Mother F**ker?? Or other racial slurs??
Actually she's probably JUST HONEST, whereas most would just lie, life in all-one race neighborhoods and send their children to private schools and claim they are liberal.
These people that get on their high horse. I remember quite a few celebrities and their children have been caught on cam using this word here in L.A.

Keyser Söze

Yeah, that's shocking alright... if you live your life with your head up your ass.

As a black man, I've always expected EVERY SINGLE WHITE PERSONS I've ever known to have used the word, mainly innocently, but sometimes out of real anger. Expecting white folks to never use the word is such a ridiculous idea... I expect humans to act like humans, and most humans, like it or not, hate other humans... that's just the way it is.

And, as for the N-word per say, Louis CK sums it up pretty perfectly a few years ago... youtube.com/watch?v=dF1NUposXVQ

janet

Enough with this 'politically correct' crap.

BB not bb

They are grilling an old lady over nonsense. Can you imagine a black on the stand being grilled over ever using the word honky or cracker? How about a Mexican being grilled over calling someone a Gringo? People have their words to refer to other races when they are not in approval. Big deal.

She gave this lady a job, so I don't think she is all that racist. I have seen black ladies even cooking on her show and she seemed okay with it. They are trying to make her look like a fool.

She is so honest and open that she will probably trip over her tongue and make herself sound bad when she isn't. You go in an antique store down south and they will have N-word written on the tags of items representing blacks.

The only reason why the word became the end of the word is one, due to the racial hate mongering of the sixties, and two, due to the OJ trial where they had to make the cop Fuhrman look bad.

Just because you are a little racist or crude doesn't mean you are a terrible hateful person either. People put down others sometimes. If she ever used the N word really proves nothing.

Major

This is not the 1st time she was accused of using the N word. She was over heard by one of her so called Black friends at that same restaurant, She;s a racist sack of manure. Most SOUTHERN whites her age are, but now, it's just catastrophic to business these days but when being bigot sacks of manure was popular
Whites were freely and outspoken

luna

Oh Lawd!! If blacks use it why not the rest of the world? Why is it "kool" for them to call each other my ni&&a? Waste of time and money...

Bravo600

When did the use of this one word become the litmus test for racism? I believe people who are not racist may have used the word, and people who never use it can be raging racist. Why even ask the question? It seems to be a trick question.

BobbieFisher

All these commentors who say everyone in America has used the n-word is wrong. I have never used, my parents have never used it, my brother has never used it. No one I know has ever said the n-word in my presence - EVER in my life. We don't use it to describe anyone or in jokes. And I intend to keep it that way.

So all you people who think everyone in America has said that word - you are WRONG. And you are justifying hateful behavior which is also WRONG.

Ms. Deen has disappointed me greatly. I thought she was a decent (if bawdy) woman who knew better. Apparently not. And it makes me sad that she's so flippant about it because it's a word that is meant to cut to the core of a human being and hurt them. Shame on her.

mike53051

One question

1) Who Cares?

tgrfan42069

most people who are blasting her.use the word freely themselves.but of course they have to come on line and speak out against it to make themselves feel better about doing it.

BaadBoy

Well now, this topic is right at home here at TMZ with the piece of shiit racists posting crap on every single Black topic on the site. …and what’s the ratio of white articles with racist posts opposed to Black articles? TMZ has a cultivation of skinheads and Nazis right in their own front yard.

Nobody is surprised Paula. In fact I mentioned this type of thing in a few of my posts recently. Notice how Paula’s rep has activated damage control and dialing-back her dialogue.

You sons of biitches are brave when you’re hiding behind an IP address but don’t have the ass to man-up (or woman-up) to any of it. Sissy ass cowardly motherfu ckers.

Vic Creed

If I could murder all racist legally I would.

BB not bb

Paula Deen is a wild and loud woman. She is not Miss Proper, and that is why people like her and relate to her. She is not running for Miss Manners of the year.

I think they should lay off her and not make her feel bad and worry over things like this. Where is her lawyer? I think he should object because it is not relevant to what she actually did that she is on trial for.

She seems like a genuine and nice person in general. She probably is a little temperamental and kooky at times. She did invent the hamburger on a donut sandwich, which gives me agita just to think about it.