Paula Deen

Food Network Gives Her

THE AX

6/21/2013 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0620-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
5:10 PM PT -- Paula has just released a statement, thanking the Food Network for 11 "great years." She said, "Because of the gift the Food Network gave me, I've had the pleasure of being allowed into so many homes across the country."

gray-bar-update
Paula Deen
's goose has been cooked at the Food Network.  Officials tell TMZ they are not renewing her contract, which expires at the end of this month.

Paula apparently was done in for her comments during a deposition in a civil lawsuit, in which she freely admitted to using the N-word in the past.

Deen issued an apology this morning that bordered on ridiculous -- it was heavily edited and frankly insincere.

She issued a second apology shortly before the Food Network said it would not renew her contract.

0621_paula_deen_happier_footer

2071 COMMENTS

sjensen

Well the hypocrisy...is gut wrenching Lil' Wayne stomps on our American Flag...and says the "N" word and the "F" word over and over again...and he gets praised for it...and paid millions...This is just another Case and Point of the PC patrol on overdrive and another network playing into the BS like cowards...because money means more then character. This all going to backfire one day....and a lot of people are going to have to look at themselves in the mirror...God Help them!

Areukiddingme?

For any of you who are interested in knowing the truth about what her black friends really think about her (and I'm talking to the TMZ staff, also), take a look at this from CNN...

Connie

I can't figure out what the big deal is. We don't use this word, because black people feel offended. Ok. We are all products of our environment. Times have changed. There were times when it was freely used, many years ago, before we were informed of it's offensiveness. She (Paula) does not seem to be offensive now, so why is she being fired? Rest assured your company will not stand by you in difficult times. The Food Network is wrong.

mecsjh1

Absolute over reaction. How many of us have done things 27 + years ago that we regret? Time have changed since 86. I lived in the south from the time I was in elementary school until I was a freshman in high school. We moved to Arizona in 1976. It was common for people to use the N word in both states. It wasn't a word we were encouraged to use because we were taught the literal Webster's definition of the word at that time and if we didn't feel a person was that type of person we'd never use it. I doubt we ever found ourselves in that situation but I can guarantee there were just as many people calling us crackers as were calling the blacks of the time the N word. I can also guarantee that there are few people who are so perfect that they should be casting a single stone and condemning Paula for something she said 27 years ago, BEFORE it was considered a horrible thing to say. I will NOT be using the Food Network site, watching any shows, shopping there, etc. if they do not apologize to Paula. I also will not do business with companies that support them.

Texas Rose

Foodnetwork took Paula's programs off the air. They didn't just negate her contract, they erased from Foodnetwork completely!!!! BRING PAULA BACK!!!

Texas Rose

Foodnetwork didn't just cancel Paula's contract, they erased from Foodnetwork completely! They took her shows off the air!!! BRING BACK PAULA YOU HYPOCRITES!!

Ima Peane

Paula's been socially unacceptable for HOW long?
Food Network didn't care about her attitudes when they were making fortunes from her rednecked horse****!

erica

as a minority myself, I can see the ignorance in comments like that. However, with that said forgiveness is what heals the heart and soul and I took her apology as a heart felt one. She made a mistake that has caused her a long career and lost of a lot of fans but she shouldn't have been fired. i think the network should have allowed her to express herself first and given her a chance to continue on. Martha Stewart did a lot of corruption and she's recovered. Paula Deen as ignorant as the comments were, I forgive you as a person who makes mistakes. I will miss seeing your face and hearing that lovely accent.

MikeC

There are so many cable channels I want miss not watching the Food Network.

tim

WHAT BS. GET FIRED FOR SAYING A WORD, ONE WORD! WHO CARES, THE SAME WORD EVERYONE ON EARTH HAS USED LIKE ALL OTHER WORDS. NOTHING BUT AN EXCUSE TO PROMOTE POLITICAL CORRECTNESS AGAIN. FOOD NETWORK SUCKS. HOPE I DON'T GET FIRED FOR SAYING SUCKS.

Peggy

Paula made her public apology..Just like DOG..and many others. She has countless friends that are African originated, and are on her past shows almost weekly. Looks like I`ll be giving up my fave Sat. AM cooking show. :(

SLemon

Hard lesson ... don't use the word. Not appropriate in any situation.

SLemon

Hard lesson ... don't use the word. It isn't appropriate, ever.

b de v

People, please stop using “the ‘N’ word,” and use “the letter after M and before O” word because it is less insensitive. And PLEASE stop using the “B” word, we haven’t been allowed to say Bl*ck since 2/15/89 when Reverend Jesse Jackson announced that we couldn’t (unless you’re black) hee hee.

Micki

I don't think this is fair. So what she said the N word. Its only means "unclean person" nothing more. I will support Paula. How many otheres have used this word? I will not be watching the food network anymore. Why don't you do something to several others on the network that waste more food than they prepare. I could place names, but I want. You just lost this long time viewer. I'll find something else to watch instead.

Previous 15 Comments | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments