Toni Braxton

I Lost My Songs

By Going Belly Up

7/28/2013 1:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0728_toni-braxton_getty
Toni Braxton
may still have a song in her heart after filing for bankruptcy, but she just lost more than 2 dozen tunes that made her famous -- because some dude bought them right out from under her ... TMZ has learned.

TMZ broke the story ... Braxton struck a deal in her bankruptcy case, in which she settled with her various debtors.  Part of the deal -- Toni could buy back 27 songs from her music catalog for $20K -- with one BIG string attached ... she could be outbid.

Enter a guy named Ross M. Klein, who doubled Toni's price and nabbed the tunes.

Among the 27 are a few hits, including "You're Making Me High," "How Many Ways," and "Always."

Perhaps her biggest hit ... "Un-Break My Heart" is not among the 27 -- but probably only because Dianne Warren wrote it ... not Toni.

Sometimes, it's hard to carry a tune in bankruptcy.

Michelle

So sick of hearing about celebrities filing for bankruptcy. She was such a powerful and popular singer during my 20's. Her concerts were amazing. These people need to hire money managers who call them first thing every single morning telling them how much they can spend that day. Not "how much net worth they have" but more simplistic as if speaking to a child. If it's nothing, then it's nothing! They need their taxes done for them where all they need to do is sign on the dotted line. Not that hard. I'm a physician who runs my large medical practice even though I have professional accountants and personal money managers. It's MY ass, not theirs! So I check and confirm everything. Does it add extra work and stress? Absolutely! But I chose my medical profession and I must manage it as well. Responsibility and professionalism come with age. So sad these people don't have it.

Kookla

I do I feel bad for her.shes already battling lupus and this on top. Have a heart ass holes

gypsymarks1978

Love tonis singing her sisters are just plain ghetto and hideous and give her a really bad name I once liked all the Braxtons when they was her back up singers until they come out with all these reality shows revealing what type of mean jealous women with bad nasty attitudes i do not like her sisters what so ever they should have stood backup singing for toni that's where they really belong is behind her toni is the only sister with any talent and that can sing or havO a hit record!! the rest of them needs to hung it up!! keep up the good work TonI you're a grate singer

Sharon Osbourne

SERVES HER RIGHT! Ms. Braxton has been playing this shell game a long time. He runs up HUGE bills, files for bankruptcy, screws the creditors. She's done it 3 or 4 times.

Lydia

Two bankruptcies? She shouldn't have rights to any songs.

VictoriaGirl

What exactly does this mean? If someone buys your songs does that mean you arent legally allowed to perform them anymore?

chris

Race relations will never get better in the US. Too many Black people are Racist but don't think they are. Too many Black people think it is racists whenever a Non-Black person says something they don't like. Just because you don't like something a white person says don't mean they are racists or it is racism. Until the American Black community starts to accept responsibility for its problems you will not get respect from anybody. respect is EARNED and you are not Entitled to respect just because you are alive.

jase

I'll buy it for 20K. She won't get it for $20K because I'll bid $25 at least.

514

Your article is false... She can't loose those songs, she will ALWAYS be the composer... She might have lost the PUBILSHING.

Un-break my heart belongs to Diane Warren and Realsongs publishing...

SpicyMagazine

I bet the high bidder read tmz's announcement of the auction a few weeks ago. I remember reading it and thinking, somebody is just going to show up and outbid her. Honestly, doesn't she have any industry friends with money? She should have been prepared to bid higher than $20k even if it meant bringing a rich guy with her. Foolish.

budweediii

Her songs left to join her original face somewhere. Always some sob story with these RnB/Reality divas. Morale of the stor: PAY YOUR BILLS and things like this wouldn't happen. Bitch made millions, couldn't handle it, and now want's sympathy from people in far less than her. Go away with your songs.

amberpixel

Look at her face, she could've saved the money from her plastic surgery and botox to buy those songs back.

Wendi

Diane Warren wrote "Unbreak My Heart" so it wasn't Tony's to sell.

Happy

Note to self, don't hire friends just to employ them! Period. Hire a manager that has no ties to you or your family. This seems to be the second time you have gone through this. Learn your lesson girl. Don't employ your sisters and your mom and so on. Sad cause your music is actually very good.

RealityBites

Boo-hoo anyone in the entertainment industry who doesn't get a lawyer and good financial manager is an idiot and to file for bankruptcy twice for millions when people out there can't eat because they can't find a job? No sympathy from me....