Dick Van Dyke

Pulled Out of

Flaming Vehicle

8/19/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

081913_dick_van_dyke_launch
87-year-old actor Dick Van Dyke narrowly averted disaster moments ago on an L.A. freeway -- when his Jaguar burst into flames -- but thankfully, he was pulled to safety in the nick of time.

The hero who rescued him is a guy named Jason Pennington, who tells TMZ, he was driving along the 101 when he saw a car full of smoke on the side of the road ... and an elderly man hunched over at the wheel.

Pennington tells us, he pulled up and ran over to discover Dick Van Dyke struggling inside.

081913_van_dyke_explosion_launch
Pennington says he opened the driver door and pulled the actor out of the vehicle as flames tore through the engine.

We're told Dick was slightly disoriented by the experience but did NOT need medical attention. His wife came to pick him up shortly after and brought him home.

As for the car ... it's toast.

0819_dick_van_dyke_car_melted_vine_article

Master P

20-something comments - and not a SINGLE one as to why a late model Jaguar would go up in flames just driving along the freeway? And this in a society that sues when the coffee at MacDonalds is too hot.

Ron

Not surprising. I know several people who own Jaguars and they call them RAGuars because they suck and have tons of maintenance issues.

Butterfly

Mr. Pennington, you are a TRUE HERO in every sense of the word!!! All America THANKS you for saving the life of a most beloved actor and personality who has dedicated his career of bringing laughter and joy with decency and class! Again, thank you and Best Wishes!!! God Bless!!!

Bob DaMahn

How Da Fuq that happen without a wreck? I would be severely pissed and looking for answers. Lucky someone stepped up to save him!

Jamey Hunter

Still driving at 87? I would think he could afford a driver. Glad to hear he's okay.

Kabala

Jaguars are crap.

Comanchegurl

Luv him. Soooo glad he's alright.

john

starwars star trek are drugging u till u are gay and stupid all thay head talkin is for u to think like a homosexual they are peta files..........\

JimmyB

And exactly HOW does a car like this catch on fire??!

Sharon Garcia

wow thank God for that guy who pulled him out... He would have died

oink

I thought the HERO Zimmerman was the one that supposed to pill people out of cars and help them.

Shoozie

Stay strong, original DVD.

CLINT

All right, now that Ryuga the Troll Emperor has totally pissed me off I need to calm down. 1...2...3. Ah, much better. Dick Van Dyke is without a doubt one of the nicest and talented comedic actors on this planet. Never heard anything bad about him and he has always helped others in need. I hope he is all right and will live for many years to come.

photodude

Dick VanDyke Can even laugh in Crisis ! im 56 years old I Hope I can have a sence of humor like his when Im 87 !!!

nof

Congratulations to the dude who risked his life.

Pulling Dick out.

Took and takes tremendous courage.

After all, the car could blow any second...

Been where Dick was - it's true - you're in shock.

Heroic passer-by I never got to thank.

Heroic N. Hollywood fire-fighters saved me.

My journal from that year is half-charred.

Reminder of how close I actually came.

Nice story, TMZ..