« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Lamar Odom

Not the Only NBA Drug User

8/29/2013 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0828_nba_drug_use_Article
Lamar Odom is not the only basketball player who was high on drugs during the season -- not by a long shot, TMZ has learned.

Multiple NBA-connected sources tell TMZ ... the big problem is that the league is only allowed to test players 4 times during a season.  Because testing is randomized, the last test can be administered as early as January, and the season lasts for months thereafter.  As one recently-retired NBA player put it, after the 4th test, "It's like Christmas Day.  We can take whatever we want."

One NBA-connected source says pot is "ubiquitous" in the sport.  The source adds, however, that most athletes who indulge do so in moderation so it doesn't have a perceptible impact on their performance.  An NBA rep tells us ... weed is not only prevalent, it's hardly hidden -- he says the hotel rooms where the players stay, and even the halls, have the telltale smell.

The players we've spoken with all agree ... pot is prevalent.  But some of the players say Lean -- Sprite and Codeine cough syrup -- has become a recreational drug of choice during the season.  One player said it was even used during the recent playoffs.

One current and famous player tells TMZ, he estimates 30% of his fellow NBAers use hard drugs -- including Molly, Ecstasy, and Lean --  at some point during the season.  He says he's never been aware of anyone doing cocaine during the season.

Another current and famous player tells us he estimates only 10% of NBA players use hard drugs, and no one uses cocaine during the season -- it's too risky.  He also says Lean is a drug of choice.

An NBA source agrees -- he estimates 10-15% of the players use hard drugs during the season.

One NBA insider believes the drug use problem has gotten better over the last 5 years because of social media.  He says players have been burned because pictures of them doing things they shouldn't be show up on Instagram and Facebook, and it's inhibited them.

0828_sports_stars_drugs_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

notalawyer

In Kris Jenner's world, everything is worth sharing with the public, no matter how small that thing might be... Stick a fork in the Kardashians they are DONE.

ABB

Noooo! You can't drug test NBA players for drugs more than four times. That would be racism.

hellooo!!!

What a shocker.

jwoolman

In other words- much ado about nothing. Lamar doesn't have a drug problem - he has a mother-in-law problem. She's still looking for more viewers and the screaming will continue through her favorite tabloid conduits until the tv season is done (which coincidentally is when Khloe will have been married a full four years and so will get her final half million dollars for her fourth year staying married).
TMZ - take some kaopectate for your Lamarrhea and stay away from infectious disease carriers like Mama Jenner.

Dubbz360

I swear u guys just make this crap up when there's no news. U just skitched and messed it up for everybody just for ur stupid fake kardashian story

bigfranklittle

I wonder what percentage of TMZ staff use drugs? Or if they are tested? How many times a year etc....

The New Improved Sock Puppet

Shocked! Shocked I tell you. I was in such a state of shock and disbelief after reading this I barely slept. I fell to my knees and raised my fisted hands to the heavens and screamed "NO!! NO!! It just can't be!" I don't know how I am going to open my office today, I am too stunned to have a coherent thought.

Celeb Gossip Addict

I hope Kris knows that she has ruined her two youngest daughter's chances of trapping...I mean dating black basketball players.

Harvey-SUX

I can do all the drugs I want because my wifes family isn't running around waving their arms inn the air yellng 'look at me!'.

Truth

TMZ ARE IDIOTS... DRUGS ARE PREVALENT IN ALL PRO SPORTS SINCE THE DAY THE LEAGUES WERE FOUNDED. NBA IS THE WORST ABUSERS OF THEM ALL NEXT TO CYCLING (AKA LANCE ARMSTRONG). COKE HAS BEEN IN DA NBA SINCE THE 70'S AND 80'S. GET REALZ... #TRUTH!!

who dat

Anyone who doesn't think the nba is full of druggies, rapists & thugs, hasn't been paying attention. I don't bother watching it anymore. I hope the entire league goes up in flames.

Marie

"Lamar Odom is not the only basketball player who was high on drugs during the season "
No sh#t Sherlock

Ann33

Lamar is a grown ass man! I don't like the kardshians either but he is responsible for his life.

Jammin

Why is TMZ so determined to run a story on L.O? There's nothing else to report, you've been reporting the same crap for a week now. I think Kris is using TMZ to to ruin L.O because she's used him enough.

cluesarethere

Talk about throwing the entire NBA under the bus just to minimize the severity of this made up melodrama. As more people realizes their vicious tactics of staying relevant they will be the most despised family.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments