« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

President Obama

Redskins Name is Offensive

... I'd Probably Change It

10/5/2013 9:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1005_obama_redskins_getty
Congress might be shut down ... but President Barack Obama found time to dive into the debate over the Washington Redskins name -- telling a reporter he would "think about changing" the team name because it offends people.

The Prez was asked about the issues renewed controversy over the past few months ... and proclaimed nostalgia isn't a good enough reason to keep the name.

Saying if he were team owner ... there'd be serious discussion about changing it.

However, Barack doesn't think fans of the name are being racist -- they're just passionate for team history.

Obama joins a growing movement of people once again pushing for the change -- including NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Name change or not ... the Redskins still suck this season.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Juliana

Doesn't he have something better to do? How about go negotiate with Americans since he's so good at negotiating with terrorists! End this damn shut down NOW!!!

Carriejane

Well, his election saying was "Change", so I guess he's gotta change at least ONE thing before his time is up..

DKG

Pres BO is an arse for once again race-baiting. The Choctaw tribe's word for "red man" is the word "Oklahoma." Guess he's going to say he thinks that ought to change as well. He's a putz.

Imfr3323

Our head of state would rather talking to tmz/Hollywood, also to know terrorist but refuses to talk to GOP/ government. I think he is so persistent in his law(which he wrote also has more correction then a drunk guys novel) what else has he done. You know way there is so many people without insurance, one contributing factor is Obama throw out Clinton's work for welfare for just welfare. Then obamacare only works if your young and healthy??? I'm glade he got re-elected because the first term he got away with blaming Bush, now it's like the county took off there blind folds and turned on the lights. Say what you like about Bush at least he wasn't scared of what others say about him and did what was necessary.

Jan

The NFL refused to sell Obamacare. Will Obama outlaw football? He did say "If I had a son, I would not allow him to play football".

j-girl4eva

Obama i liked u but now its a whole other story... Ur an ass..ppl work without pay, others no work.. then if ppl dont buy ur goverm med insur we get fined.. where hage ur insur crap heen when i pay 300-400 to see ky rhem for 5 mine???? Wth..

Jan

Changing the Washinton Bullets basketball team to Washington Wizards did not stop the killer at the Navy Yard .DC has the most strict guns laws in the nation but there was no wizard that prevented that tragedy. Spending a fortune on removing the noun, redskins from a NFL team would look like the BIG GOV. WASTE we see in DC.. the federal gov.

Barry Soetoro

The first gay president is at it again.

Mikey

King of the nit wits.

Mikey

Josef Stalin or Barack Obama quote?

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:
its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life.
If we can undermine these three areas,
America will collapse from within."

AliceAnne22

Stupid

Dave McCune

As for this Redskin, Brave and Florida St Seminole discussion offending Native Americans- I feel I also have a legitimate beef. You see, my grandfather was a Pirate. As a little boy, I remember him telling me with pride of "shanghaing" British sailors up in the Aleutians and the fun he had in Hawaii with the native girls In the late 1800's !!
You see, I'm proud to be a direct descendent of a Pirate, and I too, want some respect- I really take offense, the Pittsburg baseball club using my heritage the way they have !!

Dave McCune

awards

How about the Washington Tar Babies, eh?

YoMama

Well Mr. President, your last name is offensive to a lot of us, reminds us of Osama, so change it please.

Regards,