« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dies From Injuries

10/11/2013 8:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1011-adrian-peterson-02

update_bar
3:00 PM PDT:
Peterson just sent a series of Tweets: "God Bless everyone and thank u so much. The NFL is a fraternity of brothers and I am thankful for the tweets, phone calls and text messages from my fellow players. Thank you to my family, my fans and fans of other teams for their support."

gray-bar-update

Adrian Peterson's 2-year-old son has died ... cops have confirmed.

Cops believe Peterson's son was severely beaten by 27-year-old Joseph Patterson, the man who was dating the mother of the NFL star's child.

As we reported, the mother of the child has decided to donate the child's organs to people in need.

The boy was on life support since 5:30 PM Thursday ... but his condition never improved ... so family members made the decision to take the child off the ventilator.

Sources tell TMZ .. Adrian was informed about the situation before the news went public.

We're told Peterson will be planning the funeral with other members of the boy's family.

Patterson was initially arrested in Sioux Falls, South Dakota for assault and battery of an infant -- and now, it's almost certain the charges will be elevated to murder.

The details surrounding the beating are unclear -- but cops say medical responders were called to the apartment where the child was living on Wednesday evening ... and he was unresponsive when help arrived.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Vince

This is not good news for fantasy owners. Damn, hope he plays.

RD

Man, I wonder what it feels like to be the most despised and hated man in the US. Since Snowden is in Russia I guess Joseph Patterson wins. Patterson is going to have a miserable rest of his life.

SouthXSider3

If I were him id have the mother tortured an beheaded slowly...an as for tht other f**k...well they got him in prison I hope they beat the f**k out of him till he dies in a painfully slowly death...

SouthXSider3

So f**ked up

Jessy

This is so sad.

Ginger Pail

Let's donate his organs to someone in need!

Passion Of The Taint

Kill Adrian Peterson!!!! Now!!!

JFC10

So sad. How can anyone hurt a child. RIP young child.

txgal

The world is just too cruel. Rest with the angels baby, no one can hurt you know.

Happy

AP, sorry for your loss. Such a sad day when people can be so disturbing @skit under such horrific times.

Miara

Horrific! No parent should ever have to go through this!!!! Love and prayers to the parents and loved ones...

DeeMaree

From all I have read, Adrian Peterson rushed to his son's bedside, yes a son he knew about but was not known to the public. Adrian stayed at his side but the boy was and is dead. He was unresponsive from the time the paramedics arrived and began treatment. There was never any brain response, any response at all. The machine is on because organs will be donated but this little guy is no more. Why would Adrian want too stay with a woman that had left this child with a man who has a record of beating his own woman (wife?), child, and his own mother. That is the woman's burden to bear. I have to think surely she was unaware of his violent past. Prayers for all concerned except the animal who did this to the little guy. RIP sweet angel.

6one9

Oh`````` he WILL get his in prison!!
SMMFH on this one!!

jordan

Beyond sad How can someone do this. I hope joseph patterson gets whats coming to him Rip little child and my prays our with adrian peterson and everyone who's effected by this lost

bobzillah

I bet AP breaks the single game rushing record this week!.....any takers?