Tom Cruise

My Job's As Hard As

Fighting in Afghanistan

11/11/2013 6:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1108-tom-cruise-getty
update_bar
Cruise's lawyer, Bert Fields, says the notion that Tom compares his acting to fighting a war is a distortion, pointing to a section in the deposition -- not part of the deposition that was publicly released -- in which Tom is asked, "Do you believe the situations [being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan] are the same?"  Tom replies, "Oh come on."  Fields says that clearly means "of course not."

For the record, here's Tom's quote, responding to the opposing lawyer in the deposition:

Lawyer:  "Now, your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan.  Are you aware of that?"

Cruise:  "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal.  It was brutal."

gray-bar-update
Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."
 1108_afghanistan_war_footerAs for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

1108_olympic_action_footerBut it's not all grenades and triathlons  ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri.  For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life.  Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

Joe

You poor thing!!! Did you have to hug your wife and kids not knowing if you would ever see them again?
What I did was serving. What you do is BS.
Desert Storm

WHAT IN THE WORLD

NO, NO, NO! How DARE you compare your privileged acting to what our brave men and women endured and sacrificed in Afghanistan! SHAME ON YOU, TOM CRUISE! I'd like to see you put on a uniform and join our soldiers in Afghanistan and see how quickly your ass drops because you can't keep up with them. You owe all military members (past and present) who served and continue to serve in Afghanistan (and anywhere else for that matter) a BIG FAT APOLOGY! START GROVELING!

Barb

Reality check, Tommy boy. Oh, never mind.

Barb

Reality check, Tommy boy. Oh, never mind.

John

He can't make that comparison unless he served there on a deployment!!! When you face family separation not knowing what the day will bring, either the possibility of losing your life or getting wounded, or losing a body part from an IED, OR LOSING A BUDDY!!! You cannot possibly know what it is like in a combat zone!!!!

Amy

I have a son in Afghanistan. Tom Cruise is an idiot now just like he was years ago when he told Matt Lauer that he knew psychology and that Brooke Shields didn't have post partum depression. He makes me sick!

BulldogMom07

Are u kidding me? He has the nerve to even compare himself to military personnel. Valkriy sucked because I guess he couldn't b bothered using a German accent for his role as a German officer. Your 15 minutes are up Tom!

Closrivera918

Not cool Tom Cruise. I been blown up three time been ambushed countless number of times and watched people die as they are calling out for there kids or mom. And as an infantrymen I dont get payed that much I do it because I love my country. Ass hole

TMZCrazy

This is what separates the movie star from the regular guy. A regular guy doesn't have a hundred million dollars in the bank or the choice between fast food and four star meals. He's gotta work his behind off to survive or support a family just to go another day. To say he works just as hard as an American soldier in Afghanistan, oh no. You're living in a dream world, Tom. A dream world.

Connie

C'mon guys! That's not what he said...and put what he DID say in context! You're just trying to make news.

Kathy

NOT EVEN CLOSE STUPID.

ajjk

What, is he kidding!! Please, give me a break. Have some respect for our soldiers you pompous ass!

OhMyGaWd

Come on Tom can you just keep your trap shut. This makes me not like you. I wish our military got paid what you get paid. They deserve it for risking their lives to protect us. you do it to make a movie and there is no comparing the two things.

alex

Arrogant, deluded little... And reeeally little, turd

mtfern

He runs... Now let him run when someone is shooting at him and watch his buddies fall in front of him. I have never seen anyone so in to himself. A total ASS.

Previous 15 Comments | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments