Tom Cruise

My Job's As Hard As

Fighting in Afghanistan

11/11/2013 6:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1108-tom-cruise-getty
update_bar
Cruise's lawyer, Bert Fields, says the notion that Tom compares his acting to fighting a war is a distortion, pointing to a section in the deposition -- not part of the deposition that was publicly released -- in which Tom is asked, "Do you believe the situations [being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan] are the same?"  Tom replies, "Oh come on."  Fields says that clearly means "of course not."

For the record, here's Tom's quote, responding to the opposing lawyer in the deposition:

Lawyer:  "Now, your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan.  Are you aware of that?"

Cruise:  "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal.  It was brutal."

gray-bar-update
Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."
 1108_afghanistan_war_footerAs for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

1108_olympic_action_footerBut it's not all grenades and triathlons  ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri.  For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life.  Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

Nancvy

As a daughter of a WWII Veteran who earned a purple heart and bronze stars defending our country I am appalled at this idiots nerve to dare compare himself to any service member who defends our country.

SweetCheeks

Come on TMZ I expect better from you guys...you posted a BS story and then when the truth comes out instead of taking it down you again post lies...Sad

Heymjo

And so is Tom's acting! In an expanded version of the article, Tom says he sometimes spends as long as a year or two preparing for a role. A year or two preparing???? And this is the qjuality he comes up with. There is just so long a smile willk carry you, Tom.

Kitty Pussy Cat

DUDE HAS LOST IT. why dont these stars just do what other normal has beens do and just go away? you are old and irrelevant. No one cares what you say or do so stop making an idiot out of yourself and hide under a rock. you have more than enough money to do so

Lorraine

What the heck - he's got a "job", already. And the U.S. Military - they just got sheeit on - by a true master of masters. The job of being a HIGH PRICED make believe human being - give us all a break, hypocrite elitist Tom Cruise. You jerk.

Snow

He must have meant it was like fighting in afghanistan in his head...yeah that's it.

Mike Blust

That little ***** wouldn't last two seconds in a war zone.

Jared

Guys....He doesn't have a reference as to what it is like to be a soldier, therefore to him, being away from his daughter and on a long shoot could be the equivalent. I wouldn't read too much into it.

kitty

I am not a fan of Tom Cruise, but it seems as though, while an obvious poor analogy, he was referring to a soldier's absence from his or her family and not his career to serving. At least, that's what the quote in the article says. As for the "brutal" part, he could have been referring to that same absence. But if I am wrong, he's obviously a douche.

CitizensKB

Silly statements like this from actors or anyone for that matter can be directly attributed to one and or two things.

1. Ego
2. Total Ignorance

Go to boot camp, endure a years specialist training, and then go dodge bullets for another three years. Then open your mouth.

jheryn

Even if it was a "Bad Joke" it was still an insult. I don't believe it was a bad joke, however. I think was just the result of his over inflated ego having control of his mouth. What an epic douche bag.

Bandits

Not a big Tom cruise fan but as a veteran I can understand what he meant by being in Afghanistan or deployed anywhere and being away from family. That's how I see it but I'm sure you have many veterans insight on this matter.

Bandits

I'm sure the brutal comment refers to being away from family not being in danger. He was somewhat trapped into even the mention of Afghanistan

catster

I think it's more appalling he literally did compare himself to an Olympic athlete, complaining that he might have to run a race 30 times a day, whereas an Olympian will only run twice. Except that the athlete only trained his entire life, running every single day, and without being paid millions of dollars to do it. He's so delusional.

Janet

You are such a whinny bunch of people. I'm a mother of 3 boys one of which has been in the army for 9 years. I know exactly what Tom Cruise is saying....that is that being away from your child...like he has been....is as heart breaking and horrifying as the military being away from their children....he's not trying to compare the two reasons...but being away from your child is being away from your child....and all he was saying is he understands the emotional turmoil you go through with out having your child for long periods of time. HE WAS NOT COMPARING THE PERSONS SITUATION AS TO WHY THEY WERE APART...Your all such idiots and cry babies....get with it....I bet most of the armed forces side with tom on this one.

Previous 15 Comments | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments