Tom Cruise

My Job's As Hard As

Fighting in Afghanistan

11/11/2013 6:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1108-tom-cruise-getty
update_bar
Cruise's lawyer, Bert Fields, says the notion that Tom compares his acting to fighting a war is a distortion, pointing to a section in the deposition -- not part of the deposition that was publicly released -- in which Tom is asked, "Do you believe the situations [being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan] are the same?"  Tom replies, "Oh come on."  Fields says that clearly means "of course not."

For the record, here's Tom's quote, responding to the opposing lawyer in the deposition:

Lawyer:  "Now, your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan.  Are you aware of that?"

Cruise:  "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal.  It was brutal."

gray-bar-update
Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."
 1108_afghanistan_war_footerAs for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

1108_olympic_action_footerBut it's not all grenades and triathlons  ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri.  For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life.  Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

jill

WOW, that man is really out of touch with reality.

too bad we cant send his sorry but to afghanistan for 4 years. He has NO clue how insulting that is. WOW

Miara

There is not enough room in this world for his oversized EGO. Delusional much???

Kristin

He is delusional! I'm a veteran who served in Iraq and my husband is currently deployed in Afghanistan. I'm positive the Taliban isn't trying to kill this moron , and his life is not in jeopardy. Quit using the military for your poor parenting abilities. So disgusting!

Hell If I Know

I know this turds father left the familly when he was young but did he have an male role models in his life whatsoever? Who raises kids that turn into adults who behave like this prick? He acts like a tool who has just always said and did whatever he felt like it. He has no filter at all, he just spouts off whatever enters his feeble little mind. Prepare for his mea culpa to our soldiers soon. He will donate cash to the USO, he will throw parties for returning soliders, he will pick up the tab to send returning soliders and their wives and kids on nice vacations...all in the public eye of course, none of it will be on the down low. What a shiatbag.

Majestik

Three days from today, myself and fellow Canadians across this great country will be honoring those of our Military who served. NOT ONCE will I be honoring Tom DOUCHEBAG Cruise for all his sacrifices for his multimillion dollar job. GET STUFFED you whack job. I see why Katie fled the scene, she knew she couldn't get a seat on this blithering idiots Douche Canoe which is sinking at a very high rate.

Hell If I Know

Not onlly is this nutjob a delusional prick, he is also the world's worst actor. Watching his act is painful as I am always aware that he is "acting" and putting on a show. A good actor let's you believe that he reallly IS his character. You never experience this with TC.

Common Sense

CUT, Hey Mr. Taliban, can we do that over again. It didn't feel right for me. Also can you not try to hurt me next time. SMH

Tina

How dare you Tom Cruise for comparing your job to "just like serving a tour in Afghanistan"!!! Have you EVER been hit by and IUD and watch as your fellow soldier die next to you while you walk away with a few burns and cuts??? DO you deal with PTSD and TBI every day of your life???? Walk in my husbands shoes for two tours and then compare your life to ALL the men and women who put their lives on the line everyday to keep you and your loves ones safe! Let me see, how much money do you make on ONE movie, and how much does my husband and all the military troops get paid, DOES NOT EVEN COME CLOSE!!! You should be ashamed of yourself! YOU will never ever be the person that these military men and women will EVER BE!

OK

Does he want people to hate him? He needs to keep his foolish trap shut.

Renee Michelle Christian

What a pompus ass. Not at all the risk of real war Tom! Not at all putting your heart / life on the line for freedom! Practice alittle humility would ya?

Mayu

Dumb a$$ plays makebelieve for a living.

Chelsea

Im sorry, until you put your life on the line and you actually are physically UNABLE to come home and see your family, no. no it is not like war.

Dana

My husband is currently deployed and this disgusts me. I didnt know my husband got to sleep in a fancy hotel room, eat expensive food, get to sleep in a bed every night, get to speak with his family whenever he wanted, get MILLIONS of dollars for doing nothing.

Yup, theyre the EXACT same Tom. My husbands head would roll if he saw this. Oh wait, he DOESNT GET INTERNET

thecrud

Well on his next set someone place a few IEDs and open fire on him with RPG's. Oh keep him pinned down with no shade and 123 f weather.
Let him know the difference between a movie set bang and something that 30 years later your bell is still ringing. Let him know what it is like to have those you have befriended for 4 years not come home.

lisam

**** YOU TOM AND YOU SHOULD GET YOUR ASS BEAT JUST FOR SAYING THAT..................