Amanda Bynes

COMPETENT

To Stand Trial

11/20/2013 12:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1120-amanda-bynes-tmz
Amanda Bynes is mentally capable of understanding the nature of the criminal charges she faces, and as a result the road is now clear for her to stand trial for DUI.

Amanda's case  was in Mental Health Court this AM, and the judge read the court-ordered medical evaluation of the actress, and determined she is now competent to face the DUI charges.

Amanda's lawyer, Rich Hutton, did not object to the findings so the criminal case -- which was put on hold -- will now go forward.

Sources say the ruling will have NO impact on her conservatorship.  Fact is ... even though Amanda is capable of understanding the nature of legal proceedings, she is nowhere close to being able to care for herself.

As for the DUI case ... no way will it go before a jury.  It has plea bargain written all over it.

As we first reported ... Amanda has been diagnosed with Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

1112_amanda_bynes_through_years_footer

Columbo

Last time I saw a face like that, it had a hook in it.

ted

I kinda miss the cray cray Amanda. She was quite entertaining.

Columbo

Poor puffy face. She just can't catch a break.

Bart Simpson

I wonder once she's better if her parents will start relaunching their career "cough" I mean Amandas career, I'm sure soon as her mom got temporary conservatorship all she saw was dollar signs. This is what happens to children that are f***ked out of a childhood and turned into a money making robot.

Zambonie

yeah, but was she competent at the time she allegedly comminted these crimes?
That's what should be considered

billybob

Aha, if this bitch is not wearing a green wig, she is mentally capable, else she isn't. What a BS!

easylies

The fact is we aren't very good at diagnosing or treating or defining mental illness in america. If I was Amanda I would look for other ways to find help once all this is over because I seriously doubt shes getting it where shes at now. You can't just compound "mental illness" diagnosis onto a person lol and think its true

Vanilla Chinchilla

Drake is hot

Stiletto

Happy 1000th day on TMZ to me...for my present, I would like a life : (

Oh for cryin' out loud

Quick! Hide the dog!!! Lock up the gas cans!

Sarah

A lot of comments on here are disgusting and cruel! This poor woman is serious mentally ill, she was not well when she was doing these things and she never got in trouble before she was ill so it's obvious it was her illness that was making her behave like that and doing those things. It's not her fault she's ill so stop being nasty. Mental illness can happen to anyone so the people who think her situation is funny and a big joke need to think before writing horrible things about her because she's mentally ill. I hope she can just move on from this and live a normal life possible, she deserves that. I hope she stays away from Hollywood and that industry for good and her parents don't start pushing her to work like what's happening to Britney Spears. Wish her the best!

taz

Life isn't fair. She's a talented young lady who worked hard and didn't go down the same path most of her contemporaries went down (lookin' at you Lowhan). I hope she can live a full life and find some peace.

Columbo

I just can't get those chipmunk cheeks out of my mind. #1 sign of bulimia. Would it shock anyone if it were true?

mom in midwest

Good luck Amanda! I hope you find your way back.

Me

If she is competent she shouldn't need a conservatorship. They shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways. She qualifies for a conservatorship because she's not competent to make her own decisions (distinguish right from wrong). She needs new lawyers, doctors or a new Judge because something doesn't seem right.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments