Original 'Sound of Music' Actress

Live Special Was 'Painful to Watch'

12/6/2013 7:57 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1206-kym-karath2
Gretl Von Trapp from the original "The Sound of Music" movie was left "mystified and disappointed" after last night's live remake on NBC ... and says Carrie Underwood TOTALLY BOMBED!!

Gretl a.k.a. Kym Karath met up with former co-star Charmian Carr (Liesl Von Trapp) to watch the special last night ... but their excitement deflated once "Sound" started.

1206-subasset-charmian-carr
During the special Kym tweeted, "Mystified & disappointed so far by SOM special. So far only happy with Stephen Moyer" ... then followed up by saying, "Must admit some scenes are actually painful to watch."

That's when Karath kicked things up a notch by roasting Underwood's performance adding, "Love Carrie Underwood but this role is just not right for her. She is lovely her voice is beautiful but acting is wrong."

For what it's worth ... the special brought in HUGE ratings for NBC with 18.5 million viewers.

Tee

I 100% agree with Kym Karath's assessment. I love Carrie Underwood as a singer, but she is NOT an actress. The vocals in many parts of the play (for it WAS a play, not a TV show) were very pitchy. I loved hearing the music, as it is favored music from my life, but I was overall very disappointed in the production.

strunz2318

Lay off. Her acting wasn't great, but she did fine. Nobody was expecting Julie Andrews. Leave it to TMZ to pile on after the fact. Don't you have another Paul Walker "shouldn't be dead" story you can "investigate?" Duuuuuuuuudddddddddddeeeee.

Vickie

I LOVED it!

mick

Carrie's acting was pretty awful but her singing was great. All in all I really enjoyed it and hope they do more live musicals for television.

oleman

Not fair to Carrie Underwood to compare her to Julie Andrews....Julie Andrews made the part, and will forever be associated to her!!! Miss Underwood did a nice job!!!

Sharon Garcia

I would have to agree I also thought it was painful to watch, couldn't stand it

Yoshume

I guess no one ever taught them "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"!

ysol33

O come on it couldn't of been that bad. Never liked the movie.

RobinAZ

Carrie is a phenomenal singer, but not an actress - I thought the show was fun to watch. It wasn't a movie where you get 50 takes to do a scene. It was a live performance. I enjoyed it very much.

jwc

It was great. NBC did the nation a favor by bringing this production to TV...a regular Broadway show for the price of a few commercials. I was particularly delighted to see the inclusion of R&H numbers that never make the edit of the Julie Andrews movie, particular No Way to Stop It. Thanks NBC, from the heart.

riverlady

I don't think they did Ms Underwood any favors by putting her in this show. She will forever be compared to Ms Andrews and that's not fair. She did the best she could, but this is a part for a lyric soprano with acting chops (like someone from Broadway please...Chenoweth or Hilty or ?).

vidsoon

It really was bad. There were lighting errors, the orchestra was too overpowering during most of it, I saw kids looking off stage at someone, Carrie was terrible, it went beyond my kids' bedtime and it needed a live audience. Other than that, Mother Superior was phenomenal. That said, I hope they do more productions like this.

pepperpatch23

She has every right to an opinion and she isn't wrong. AND she is being a lot nicer than any of you are to her!!!

She said: "Mystified & disappointed so far by SOM special. So far only happy with Stephen Moyer" ... then followed up by saying, "Must admit some scenes are actually painful to watch."

No where in there did she call her a hag or a lamebrain
or old woman as you did her! I for one agree with her! I was bored with the show but in love with the vocal's especially Carrie she sounded just like Julie Andrews!!! NO WHERE in there did she say "Carrie Bombed" ...TMZ said that to get your attention and provoke animosity! You should all be disappointed in yourselves!

Karlotta

Geez, if you don't like what you're watching, then change the channel. How difficult is it to do that? I guess some people would rather tear others down. None of the people with negative comments about this production could have come close to doing what Carrie and the rest of the cast did during this 3 hour LIVE show.

Nance C

Once she was past the nerves, Carrie Underwood gave a credible college performance. Didn't think much of the Captain - his agent should be spanked; terrific actor but they should have hired a singer for the role. Also, came off as too young. I didn't believe for a second that he had served 10 minutes as a Naval officer in WWI. A for effort, but, dear man, it fell apart because he couldn't support his voice. And it may have worked in a big theater, but I never saw so many young nuns in one place in my life. Good grief, what would have happened with the next generation in Austria with so many healthy females not reproducing? At least one or two older ladies would have been nice. (I'm not going to quibble about a Black Mother Superior in 1930s Austria. She sang in my key, so I could sing along. Scared the cats.)