Captain & Tennille

Divorcing

Love WON'T Keep Us Together

1/22/2014 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0122-captain-and-tennille-getty
Say it ain't so ... there's no Muskrat Love left for Captain & Tennille ... they're getting divorced ... and the Captain tells TMZ he didn't see it coming.

Toni (Tennille) filed legal docs in Arizona, claiming the marriage was "irretrievably broken."  They've been married for 39 years.

If you don't know ... you should.  They had a string of hits in the 70s, including "Love Will Keep Us Together," "Muskrat Love" and  "Do that to Me One More Time."

They were discovered by Neil Sedaka at The SmokeHouse restaurant in Burbank, near NBC.

Daryl Dragon (The Captain) is 71.  Yeah, it's Dragon.

Daryl tells TMZ ... "I don't know why she filed.  I gotta figure it out for myself first."  He also said they're still living together in the same house.

According to the divorce docs, obtained by TMZ, there's special mention about health insurance coverage, and that seems relevant, because in 2009 Toni blogged that Daryl had been diagnosed with Parkinson's.   In 2011 Toni updated the message, saying Daryl's tremors were so bad he was embarrassed to go out in public ... to restaurants, the movies, etc.

Here's what's unclear -- whether it's possible Toni really filed for health insurance reasons ... whether his coverage might be better if they were divorced.

The blog has an update on Jan 16, 2014, saying "The Captain & Tennille appeared to the public as them being the ideal model for a 'rock-solid' married pair.   But almost all people naturally evolve over time, & sometimes hidden feelings start to be uncovered ..."

It's a sad day for muskrats.

0122_captain_tennille_before_split_footer

david

Seriously though...I was 12 when this song came out in the summer of '75. I had it on a 45, and later got their greatest hits when I joined the Columbia House Record Club. LOL I was such a dork!

Bandi

She always turned me on

Patrice Brandt

HE HAS A MEDICAL PROBLEM SO NOW SHE FIGURES IT'S TIME TO GO!! WHAT A MORON!!

sharihodges

Is this TMZ or the coffee-news?

Better_Call_Saul

Secret lover boiling your bunny? I can help.
Better Call Saul.

Unbroken Chain

Wow. I didn't even know they were still around. I remember them from when I was a little kid. That Muskrat Love song and Love Will Keep Us Together were huge 70s hits. Things were so much simpler back then. No twitter, Facebook and all that other crap that's ruining society. I hope this is only for insurance reasons. Why divorce after so many years together

Bob

I can only hope the love is not dead and that they are doing this to put themselves in a better financial position. An if the reason is financial then what does this say about us as a broken society? For what they gave their generation they deserve far better than this.

Janet BeCraft

Captain And Tennille were great married singing couple. My mom was a fan of there's before I was born.
My mom and I feel sorry that they are splitting after there 40yrs of marriage.

Lynnie

They probably have SS and Medicare...

Lynnie

They probably have Medicare and a secondary insurance, if you are smart...they probably have signed up for SS..

PL

Regarding speculation about Health Insurance needs and their divorce: INVALID. They're in their 70's snd both on Medicare, automatically.

tracir

Oh... the irony

bmcc

So he gets ill, gets tremors and she bolts. Not cool.

DDKITTY

I guess singing the same song over and over again about love keeping them together drove them nuts enough to just say IM OUT!!!!

Ayesha

If he is disabled and if they can't afford care for him, this may be their only option. Otherwise if they apply for Medicaid in-home care funding, they will look at her income and assets, and they won't qualify for help unless together they have less than $2000 to their name, excluding their home and 1 car. There are some options as far as putting money in special trusts etc. but your spouse's income still counts. I am disabled and as of recently, get in-home care paid for by the state... I can work and make up to a decent amount and still receive it, but I can never get married again. If my spouse had even a minimum wage job I would lose all my benefits, and my care costs $40,000/year without state help. No one except the richest of the rich could afford that. It's a sad reality...and I know this is probably far more info than you needed, but if this is their situation, it's terribly sad for them.