Captain & Tennille

Divorcing

Love WON'T Keep Us Together

1/22/2014 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0122-captain-and-tennille-getty
Say it ain't so ... there's no Muskrat Love left for Captain & Tennille ... they're getting divorced ... and the Captain tells TMZ he didn't see it coming.

Toni (Tennille) filed legal docs in Arizona, claiming the marriage was "irretrievably broken."  They've been married for 39 years.

If you don't know ... you should.  They had a string of hits in the 70s, including "Love Will Keep Us Together," "Muskrat Love" and  "Do that to Me One More Time."

They were discovered by Neil Sedaka at The SmokeHouse restaurant in Burbank, near NBC.

Daryl Dragon (The Captain) is 71.  Yeah, it's Dragon.

Daryl tells TMZ ... "I don't know why she filed.  I gotta figure it out for myself first."  He also said they're still living together in the same house.

According to the divorce docs, obtained by TMZ, there's special mention about health insurance coverage, and that seems relevant, because in 2009 Toni blogged that Daryl had been diagnosed with Parkinson's.   In 2011 Toni updated the message, saying Daryl's tremors were so bad he was embarrassed to go out in public ... to restaurants, the movies, etc.

Here's what's unclear -- whether it's possible Toni really filed for health insurance reasons ... whether his coverage might be better if they were divorced.

The blog has an update on Jan 16, 2014, saying "The Captain & Tennille appeared to the public as them being the ideal model for a 'rock-solid' married pair.   But almost all people naturally evolve over time, & sometimes hidden feelings start to be uncovered ..."

It's a sad day for muskrats.

0122_captain_tennille_before_split_footer

UNLV1990

After 40 years of marriage, Tennille woke up gay. Gotta feel bad for the captain. The captain gave up 40 years of his life, too bad. I left my crazy exwife of over 20yrs and my life has never been better. I have a hot Latina gf and have fun with my friends. I have more money after the divorce. I should have done this years ago!

robert bock

I TOO FEEL THIS IS ALL WRONG IF THEY HAVE TO DO THIS ALL OVER INSURANCE

chicosweets

This is the second time

Dee

This can only mean two things: Either they are doing it for publicity (PR), or they really need to divorce in order to receive better medical insurance. I'm hoping it's nothing worse and that she won't actually abandon him. What happened to "for better or worse"???

Kate

You're all missing the obvious here...they are divorcing not because love couldn't keep them together, but so Daryl can get the best medical treatment as a single person and not drag Toni down in the spiraling costs which stupid Obama and his magical Obama care has screwed up for this entire country!!!!

UNLV1990

There is Obama care. So healthcare can't be the reason for the divorce.

woolly -Bear

I'd rather chew on Tin Foil and Shave my Head with a cheese grader then to listen to these two has been Douche Bags.

mannyalbite

nothing last for ever and we know that hearts can change

nof

It's a logical and sound healthcare move given the later stages of this disease.

Uber-interesting story about how they were discovered.

May God bless both of their Third Acts.

nof

What a great name for a band:

"The Captain and Tenille."

Something you'd remember from the_jump.

stacy hunsbarger

that is so so sad........just like my mom.greedy as hell.a couple of pieces of silver.f stupid.my mom is a ho and so is tennile.
TIL DEATH DO YOU PART
she should not have married him then if she is so embarrased in public with him.

BOTTOM LINE......SHE IS A GREEDY B**** JUST LIKE THE REST OF THEM

James Stoll

I guess her marriage vows don't mean a thing to her.As in sick in heath. Next!

IRC

I thought they were dead.

Ave Joe

I bet it's for the Insurance.. Why? We had to Divorce when the wife got Cancer to Get Health Ins. Coverage for her.. She had to Go On Medicade and Welafre Otherwise I t have Bankrupted us and lost All Our Savings
The Health Ins. Co. we did have Ins. With? Closed its Doors and left the State.. and left 10,000 People w/o Insurance..

And you wonder why Obamacare is So Desperately needed?

I had Insulin Diabetes and Never was Able to get Health Insurance- Called a Pre X Condition.. UnInsureable.. Not until I got On Medicare..

IRC

I thought they were dead.