« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Philip Seymour Hoffman

I Never Blamed Him for Smear Job In 'Moneyball'

... Says Ex-A's Manager

2/2/2014 12:13 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0202_philip-seymore-hoffman_art_howe_gettyHe didn't like the way Philip Seymour Hoffman portrayed him in "Moneyball," but former Oakland A's manager Art Howe tells TMZ Sports he never held a grudge against the actor ... saying, "He was just playing the part he was given."

Howe says he was "in shock" when he learned PSH had passed away Sunday ... explaining, "We never got to meet. I remember reading an article where he said he wanted to meet me and apologize for how he portrayed me. Now we're never going to have that chance."

Howe says he was very unhappy with the way he was portrayed in the flick -- but says he points the finger at the producers and the writers ... not PSH.

"Even though I didn't agree with the way I was portrayed, I didn't blame him -- he was just playing the part he was given," Howe says.

"He was an outstanding actor, it's a big loss to the acting world. He's going to be missed."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Courtney

This article needs some serious proof reading. I mean I know it's not the New York Times but seriously...?

B4-I-FU-RU-18?

Another druggie bites the dust. Woooooosh!

Machelle

Good grief-PROOF READ your article before posting. This is the third article today that reads like an eleven year old wrote it.

zombie

How many times can you dorks repeat yourselves in an article? Do 3yr olds write for you? Do you not proof read? Do you just not care? WTF???????

KDeez

If you repeat yourself twice, it makes you really sound like you know what you're talking about ;P

Rachael

Did anyone else think PSH came off as kinda self important and moody? I mean they keep referring to him as one of the best actors ever, the drug group he counseled referred to him as a guru... I can't help that he might have let that go to his head a little, and maybe in some small way that lent to his feeling invincible to the point where he slipped back into drinking and drugs......?