« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Richie Incognito

Police Chief Has My Back

In War With Jonathan Martin

2/13/2014 12:12 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

021314_richie_incognito_launch_wm_v2
A New Jersey police chief is stepping up for Richie Incognito ... telling investigators he was there during an allegedly explosive night between R.I. and Jonathan Martin ... but the cop says Richie did NOTHING wrong.

TMZ Sports has a letter written by the police chief and sent to investigators connected to the Ted Wells investigation which was launched in the wake of the bullying allegations.

The letter describes an April 26 dinner involving Martin, Incognito, Will Yeatman and Anthony Fasano ... where Martin allegedly stormed out after Richie dropped the N-bomb.

In his letter to investigators, the police chief says he was also there that night ... and based on his years of experience as an officer and a detective, says he witnessed NO inappropriate behavior on Richie's part.

In fact, the chief says the Dolphins players all participated in a "fun" Vine video that night, in which they were all smiling and laughing.

"At no time did I ever hear Ritchie speak condescendingly to or attempt to intimidate Jonathan or anyone else at this restaurant."

The chief says Martin never stormed out -- or mentioned that he was uncomfortable in any capacity.

The chief also says he has spent a lot of time with both Martin and Incognito over the years and says, "They have always appeared to me to have a close and amiable relationship -- very much like best friends."

Calls to Martin's camp have not been returned. No comment from Incognito's people.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

MichaelM731

Richie Incognito is a cry baby attention getter. Let your "skills" do the talking. No one would ever know you if it was not for this negative publicity you have given YOURSELF. #crybabyattentiongetter

TheWholeTruth

I think Johnathan Martin is loser. I'm a black guy around the same age as both of them. Incognito does not seem like a racist he's just a **** talking friend we all have them even the black guys on the dolphins team loved incognito they look at him like he's one of them. I have had white friends make racist jokes and we all laugh. I also have made racist jokes to them and none of us get mad because they are my friends. I have been to they're family's houses and they have been to mine. Johnathan Martin abused the race card because he felt like it would get all black people and the media on his side...but me I see rite through Johnathan Martin he sucked in the nfl and didn't wanna stand up and be a man and admit he didn't wanna play so he tried to place blame

Dan09

If anything, Incognitos twitter rant makes him look like a bully even more so than before

ts

You're still never going to play in the NFL. You blew it douchebag.

englishpetal

Yes because a letter from a police chief who was not included in the group or has a close relationship with either is going to stand! Eveyone at one point in their life has had a "friend" who is an arsshole and bully who they "get along" with for an easier life and so they are not the target. So this apparant letter is complete crap!

ex0du5

Please post the name of this police chief, TMZ. There is no mention of this source in the Wells report, and there has been discussion that this was media carpetting. Several sources are looking to verify the story, so please give the source. You have released the occupation to establish veracity, but that detail should absolve any need for anonymity.