Chris Brown

Anger Triggered By Bipolar Disorder

2/28/2014 11:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0228_chris_brown_court_tmz2
Chris Brown has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, severe insomnia and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder ... and that's why he has had such anger issues ... this according to new court docs.

Chris was in court today for a progress hearing in the Rihanna beating case.  Documents were filed by the facility where Chris just completed 90 days of anger management therapy. In fact, Chris stayed longer, just completing 95 days.

In the legal docs -- obtained by TMZ -- an official from the rehab facility wrote that ... in addition to his diagnosis ... Chris was self-medicating inappropriately.

The facility writes, "Mr. Brown became aggressive and acted out physically due to his untreated mental health disorder, severe sleep deprivation, inappropriate self-medicating and untreated PTSD." They never explain the cause of the PTSD. The letter also says Chris was diagnosed with Bipolar II.

The letter says Chris is on meds for the bipolar and other conditions.

Chris has learned various relaxation exercises, according to the letter, and he's tested negative for drugs, including weed, during his stay.

The facility says he's doing really well.  It says he gets up at 5 AM and works hard.  They say he's been especially good with community service, saying, "Mr. Brown's attitude has been beyond exemplary in regard to his community service responsibilities."

JanaeC

I just think he's misunderstood. I honestly don't care. His voice is AMAZING. His talent is undeniable. One of the best handsdown

MC

As someone who actually has Bipolar Disorder I can assure you Chris Brown does not have Bipolar Disorder. He's just a massive A-Hole.

fastdriver

Anyone taking bets on how long this passivity is going to last with the people he hangs around with?

Kmac

God bless him.

DiM

The comments on here are saddening. Mental Illness is actually underreported, particularly among men. As someone who works closely to mental health, I can say that doctors do not come to a Bipolar diagnosis lightly, quickly or without investigation. I hope TMZ had permission to print someone's health record. If so, I know we rag on Brown constantly, but I think it's brave for him to come forward. Obviously, he isn't the typical picture of mental illness (most people are not violent at all), but understanding the causes are important for him to modify his harmful behaviour.

Joey

I call B.S.
Its is easy to fool doctors especially when your facing charges.
Example ''someone I know'' is on workers comp and I they have schizophrenia, PST, and manic depression, oh and that's without professional paid people to tell them what to say.
I call B.S. CHRIS!

Holy moly

I wonder how much he paid the doctor who signed all his "diagnosis" paper work. This is ridiculous! Any other man (doesn't matter what race) who would of done this would of been in a sh*t hole with no way to get out.

Marcus

Well being bipolar might explain some of his behavior but it doesn't change the fact that he's a d*uchebag.

al baby

Its triggered because he is just an A$$hole

Lee

Supposedly he dumped the K girl and is now back with tattoo woman. It won't end well.

moe

If this isn't the BIGGEST BUNCH OF HORSE****!
Does anyone really believe this RUBBISH??

Xianne

That's no excuse to beat someone . So now it's not his fault ?! So that ******* that shoot up the preschool killed 20 kids had a perfect excuse ???!!! Take responsibility for your actions . Chris is a loser with too much money ,too much excuses , and not enough time to grow the **** up!!!

Lucky_130

I thought he just suffered from the angry black man syndrome

KC816

I have bipolar II. I've had episodes of extreme depression, hypomania and full blown manic episodes. Before I was properly medicated...I would go days without sleep, which made me irrational but I didn't go up beating up people. He's got major anger issues not bipolar.

SO Catharina

I'm not a fan. just to be clear.
It's funny to see how some people here are commenting on the diagnosis made by doc. Perhaps , you have a doctor license, and even so you have meet him to make an accurate diagnosis.

Give him some rest.

you can say what you want but he is a real artist and an awesome performer. you can not deny it. So judge him for his music.

And Rihanna is not a saint, it's true that it's a shame what he did to her but we were not there. She came back to him. Thats it. He didn't beat up Karrueche or the others. So stop talking about his past.

And his not the only one beating up his girlfriend or wife in the showbizz and unfortunately in the world...