Alanis Morissette

My Housekeeper's

A Dog-Gone Thief

3/6/2014 12:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

alanis_dog_akm_gsi
Alanis Morissette claims her housekeeper stole her precious pooch out of revenge and she and her husband are both heartbroken and PISSED.

Alanis' husband, Mario Treadway, filed a lawsuit ... claiming he and Alanis found a stray, 10 lb Chihuahua/Pug mix roaming the streets back in May, 2011.  Mario says they did the right thing and took the dog to an animal shelter but no one came to retrieve it.

So Alanis and Mario adopted the pugnacious pooch, which they named Circus.

All was fine until January, when they fired their housekeeper (in rich people's lingo they call it "House Manager"), Maria Garcia.

According to the lawsuit -- filed in L.A. County Superior Court -- Maria wanted Circus as part of her severance, because they claim she had the dog and refused to return it.  Maria sent an email to their business manager saying she wanted "ownership" of Circus.  Apparently Maria grew attached to the dog because she took care of it while Alanis and her hubby were on the road a lot.

Now Alanis and Mario are out for blood.  They're suing Maria, asking for more than $25K and they want the judge to order the return of the dog.

UN-FUN FACT:  Under California law dogs are considered property ... so an individual dog is almost never considered so special that a judge would order its return ... the only remedy is money.  And that's a sad dog tail.

0113_guess_pooch_dog_adorable_footer

Doodlebug

She looks scary

BB not bb

Even if someone steals property it can be repossessed. This is really stupid. She had better get her dog back or something is screwed up. Send animal control to the Contra Rebel's house and take the dog. What is the big deal?

That lady Garcia is dirty and spiteful. immigracion!

BB not bb

Tu pero es mi pero. Tu casa es mi casa. Tu vida es mi vida. Tu nacion es mi nacion. More amnesty for criminales. Good one USA.

ImSoReal

Clean your own house and you won't have to worry about people stealing your stuff.

EverettMDuncan

my roomate's mother-in-law makes $78 /hour on the internet . She has been without a job for 9 months but last month her payment was $15975 just working on the internet for a few hours. look at this site>>>>>>>>>>>>>>www.workbarr.com

BB not bb

Hey I want my country back, but somehow the law IGNORES THAT ALSO. I am sick of the freeloading fiesta. Vamanose los illegales!!!!!

Biebersgranny

id kill that house keeper!

tucker

The real question is, will the house manager go down on you in a theatre?

phoebe

She will get her dog back , remember a few weeks ago the story about Tori and Dean's pitbull dog at the dog walkers house?

copco777

The judge will order the housekeeper to return it if there was no written or verbal agreement. Like TMZ said, a dog is property, so if she stole it, she has to return it.

tmzsucks

Who gives a flying **** about a a dog **** this ****!!! Boosie home!! **** this bitch her housekeeper and the dog!!

Reed

Unfun fact: Who wrote this? If the dog is considered property then of course the judge will return the dog to the rightful owner and from what was written it's Morissette. She probably won't get any extra money she's asking for but she's the owner of the dog. Levin is a lawyer, does he read the junk his workers write.

What Jamie Said

Whoever pays for the insurance/vet bills for that dog will be the owner. Stealing a dog from someone is disgusting. If you have a dog you'll understand. If you had a baby and someone stole it you'll be pissed

MARIA & PATRICK

Hi TMZ Readers
Here is the full statement that we presented to TMZ on Friday. There is a lot of information that we think is pertinent to our story that was not included in the article.
We would like to present our statement to you in its entirety so that we are not misrepresented further.
Please read and, if you feel moved to, share elsewhere.
Thank you for your time & compassionate consideration,
Maria & Patrick

OUR FULL STATEMENT:
I, Maria Garcia, was formerly employed as Alanis Morissette and Mario Treadway’s personal assistant and house manager. I was at no time employed as their housekeeper.

As an employee inside their home, I was privy to all that went on. After my employment was suddenly terminated, without explanation, in January of this year, I have honored my personal and professional commitment to respect the family’s privacy. The family has filed suit against me and has falsely accused me in the press of stealing their dog, Circus. I am now being forced to defend myself in court – and in the press. For that reason only, I am giving this statement. I am not receiving compensation for this statement nor would I ever “sell” information about a former employer for personal gain – even under these unfortunate cir***stances.

Alanis and Mario’s accusation that I stole Circus from them is false is every sense of the word. Their accusation is not only false, it is malicious and extremely hurtful as I was a loyal and dedicated employee and worked in a close, personal capacity with the couple, their child, all of their pets, and multiple staff. I never imagined I would be in the position of defended myself against accusations Alanis knows are false.

After completing Alanis’ tour at the end of 2012, they returned home in January of 2013. By March 2013, Alanis and Mario asked me and my fiancé, Patrick Murch, to take Circus into our home because Alanis was allergic to Circus, he was relieving himself in their home, was very food aggressive (resulting in him being obese and having hip and other physical problems). Alanis was frustrated with Circus’ behavior and said he was disruptive to the family; posed a risk to their other dogs and their child; and was “too annoying” to continue in their home.

Alanis’ claim that she was on tour in 2013 and that I was asked to take Circus because of a “hectic touring schedule” is blatantly false. A simple Google search will confirm when Alanis was on tour. To my knowledge, Mario has never had a tour of his own. Alanis made this and others misrepresentations to an LAPD detective several weeks ago. The detective at first stated that the couple planned to press criminal charges against me. The detective spoke to my fiancé and my attorney and to me. The detective verified my version of the facts, and the matter was dropped.

During Alanis’ 2012 tour, I house sat for the couple, looked after their house, did several special projects and took care of their dogs. Circus lived at their home with their other dogs during the tour in 2012. When Alanis returned from the 2012 tour and Circus’ behavior was so “annoying and insufferable”, Alanis said that she “could take it any more” and to “get rid of him”.

Since March of 2013, Circus has lived exclusively with me, at my house. Over the course of the year, Circus became a part of our family. We worked hard to make him comfortable in our home and to help redirect his nervous behaviors. Circus is closely bonded with our other dogs, Jaoquin and Pony as well as with us. Based on our verbal agreement with Alanis, our long-standing family relationship (Patrick’s stepmother was employed by Alanis for 16 years), and the fact that Circus had lived solely with us for that year, it was obvious by their action that they too saw Circus as our dog. During the last year, Alanis did not visit Circus or ask after him.

Alanis saw Circus once, for 15 minutes, when I housesat for the family in September of 2013. The family went on a 3 week vacation to Bowen Island, Canada and I was house sitting. With Alanis’ permission I brought my dogs with me while I stayed at the house. When the family returned, Alanis saw Circus. She petted him and said hello. I gathered up my things and my dogs to return to my home. At that time, I asked Alanis if she wanted Circus back. She said no - and that it was better for everyone – including Circus that he remain with me. At this moment, it was clear that Alanis did not and would not ever want Circus back. I was happy as Circus was loved and happy at our home.

It came as a shock to us when, upon getting fired, we received a demand that we “return Circus” to his “proper owners”. I did not request Circus as a part of my severance. I believed, in good faith, that Circus was our dog. Alanis knew that Circus was well loved and cared for in our home and had grown inseparable from our other dogs. It was clear for a year that she had no interest in Circus.

In February 2014, when Alanis’ business manager demanded that we return Circus, we made several attempts to reach out to Alanis personally to ask for transference of the papers so that we may take legal ownership of Circus. Alanis has suddenly become extremely adamant about wanting him back, claiming that Circus is her “property”. During these exchanges, Alanis acknowledged that Circus is unlikely to reintegrate well as the issue of her allergies, Circus’ food aggression, loud barking, and urinating in the house continue. Alanis said that I must give Circus back, and that if he doesn’t integrate well, she will give him to someone else (not back to me).

We fear that Circus (a Chihuahua/Dachshund mix - incorrectly labeled in court paperwork as a Chihuahua/ Pug mix) may be taken from our loving home only to be dumped again if his “unfavorable” behaviors return.

Over the last month, we have been accused of being disrespectful in our correspondence with Alanis and Mario; endured private investigators and police coming to our home, Alanis’ assistants making false statements in our neighborhood to our neighbors accusing us of being “dog-nappers and animal abusers”. Now we are being hit with a lawsuit demanding $25,000, plus punitive damages.

Both Patrick and I served Alanis and Mario faithfully while in their employ – as did Patrick’s stepmother for 16 years. We, like Circus, have been unceremoniously discarded. Alanis’ sudden interest and demand for the “return of Circus” - a dog she told her employees to “get rid of” in March of 2013 – speaks to the truth.

We trust that the world at large will see this situation for what it really is. We are not wealthy and we cannot afford to defend this lawsuit – but we feel that we have to. We have to defend this lawsuit to clear our names and because Circus is our dog and as Alanis has said before, it is better for everyone – including Circus.

Anyone who wishes to help us with the costs and expenses of this lawsuit may make a tax-deductible donation at www.rockandrescue.org or via Paypal to rene@rockandrescue.org.

JC1957

Hey Maria and Patrick, this is Juli (Sean's mom). We believe you and if you need anything, please let us know. You both are two of the sweetest and kindest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I'll support you in any way I can.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments