Zac Efron

Attacked After Midnight in Downtown L.A.

3/27/2014 3:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Zac Efron FightZac Efron mysteriously ended up in a bad area of downtown L.A. just after midnight Sunday ... and ended up getting violently socked in the mouth by a sketchy transient ... law enforcement sources tell TMZ.

We're told cops were on patrol under the Harbor Freeway when they saw Zac and a man he identified as his bodyguard.  Cops saw Zac and the other guy in a full-blown melee with at least 3 other people.

After breaking up the fight, cops questioned Zac. He told them they had run out of gas and were sitting in the car.  Zac said while waiting for a tow truck they threw a bottle out the window -- he never said what was in the bottle -- and it smashed on the pavement near a group of transients.

Zac said the transients confronted him and the bodyguard because they believed the pair hurled the bottle at them. Zac says 2 of the transients attacked the bodyguard and when Zac got out of the car to help, he got cold cocked in the mouth. Zac said, "It was the hardest I've ever been hit in my life."

You'll recall ... Zac mysteriously broke his jaw in November, saying he slipped on a pool of water in his home.  Zac was in rehab twice last year for cocaine abuse.

The area where this occurred is rough. Cops are on high alert for drug deals and gangs.  One source says Zac was "obviously intoxicated."

Law enforcement tells TMZ ... no one was arrested because they viewed it as "mutual combat."

We contacted Zac's rep ... so far no comment.

0327_zac_efron_trhough_years_footer

Franc

He tossed a glass bottle that ****tered? F.U., Z.E. Junky.

lauren lipkin

If zac was "obviously intoxicated"woudt he be arrested?

Jules1916

This never happened!!!! Why would you wait four days to report this but yet If that weir guy whom I've never heard of farts you guys have an exclusive right away. So annoying!!! This has always been my gossip go to site but you guys are really slipping!!

William Foresman

fresh out of rehab and into a street fight? Something really wrong here, Lucy!

Kristinajp

I wish that every person who comments on these boards about drugs really googled and read up on addiction. I unfortunately got to learn first hand by marrying one who I also say had cocaine addiction because it sounds a little easier than saying crack which is what most addicts end up doing after they get hooked on coke. My ex used to say you are always chasing the first high and never get it. I also remember stopping by a gas station in our middle upper class area and when we went in to get a soda he showed me tiny glass vase looking with a rose in them right at the register. They are used as crack pipes and no one but addicts know that. Look next time you go to the minimarts....im gu3ssing guessing they did run out of gas probably on his 10th trip out that night and threw the crap pipe or bong out the window. Hes probably not using his normal dealer because he's now publicly admitted addiction. These stories break my heart because each type I hear them I think of all the addicts that don't make it out. Prayers to you Zak :(

spicemonkey259

Seriously, you have to go to some crappy part of town to score drugs? Why don't you just ask one of your frirends?

Sheldon Siegel

Why is everyone assuming he was trying to get drugs? Maybe he just wanted a toothless BJ from a wino.

J

He was there because he was looking for something, and now should wake u up, CLEAN UP YOUR ACT.

Pariah586

Ran out of gas? I think not! He was looking for some of that sweet Columbian snow!

XDrinker

He "ran out of gas?" Utterly ridiculous. IMO, he was there to score drugs. I don't particularly care for Effron, so perhaps someone can educate me: is he someone with a known substance abuse problem?

Red Sam Rackham

Just happened to run out of gas in skid row & then just happened to throw a bottle out of his car window while waiting for help and then a group of bums beat up his bodyguard. This moron needs to not only clean up his act but also to find a bodyguard with a black belt and brains!

pmc5121

I find it hard to believe that there is no one in Hollywood that sells drugs (or could be hired to get them for him) and that they all have to go to skid row to get them? I don't get why these people find it necessary to go down there ..knowing that, first of all it is a dangerous part of town and hello? cops...paparazzi? Its really a shame that Efron has this problem he really has what it takes to be a huge star and it looks like he really needs help. Such a good looking kid with a lot of talent.

Dave

Zak, buddy, your excuses are starting to sound really lame. You're going to ruin your beautiful face and your beautiful life if you keep this **** up.

Yurra Knutz

Nothing to see here people.
Just your typical petrol challenged, Skid Row transient melee starting, NOT looking for drugs up in here, simply cruising the hood with a hand-to-hand combat deficient bodyguard, littering bottle tossing celebrity.
Nothing else.
Move along.

Jessica

What's really going on here ...... is that Zach is a member of Fight Club. He can't talk about it.