Josh Elliott

I Wanted Out of "GMA" So Bad

I Took a Pay Cut!

4/1/2014 6:54 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Josh Elliott Leaving GMA

Josh Elliott was so disgusted with ABC ... he took a pay cut of more than a million dollars ... multiple sources connected with both ABC and NBC tell TMZ.

Our sources say ABC offered Josh between $4 and $5 million to stay, but he chose NBC despite the fact that they offered him just over $3 million.

We're told Josh was at the point of no return when Robin Roberts signed a $14 million a year contract to anchor GMA.  He felt slighted by the ABC offer and just wanted out.

Sources say the feeling is mutual.  As one source put it, "He's definitely an abrasive guy."  Another source says, "People hated him.  He was always just rude."

And get this ... we're told just weeks ago Sr. VP of ABC News James Goldston confronted Amy Robach -- Josh's replacement on GMA -- and called her "toxic" because she created tension on the set.  Indeed, we're told Amy and Lara Spencer "hate" each other and can't hide their contempt.

Another source says Robin Roberts hasn't helped matters -- one person saying she acts like a "diva" on the set.

As for Josh's future ... our network sources say NBC did NOT promise Josh any role on "Today," but we're told there's no doubt he's got to the top of the heap as the likely successor to Matt Lauer.

Morning TV ... it's just like grade school, only all the students are really rich.

James R. - Los Angeles

ABC to NBC. From liberal bad to liberal worse.

Cecilia

Top of the heap to replace Laurer? Great, let's replace one self-involved egomaniac for another! No one ever said NBC was smart...

CremeBrulee

Telepromptertubbie

karri

Josh, Robin, Matt, Lara, Amy... sounds like a bunch of spoiled junior high kids trying to be most popular, and guess what? You ALL come away looking like little kids that never grew up to be gracious and kind!! Grow the F up!!

Betty

ABC had a winning combination and has allowed it to be dismantled. What a shame. I, for one, love Josh Elliott and the show will not be the same without him. Their ratings are gng to start to tank. Watch what I tell ya'! There is no way Robin is worth15 million dolllars. She isn't even there half the time. I'm sure Amy is a nice person but....the show is now mundane and boring. And at the Today show you can tell there is not A GENUINE bone in their bodies. It was all an act to mimic ABC

flowergirl

First of all, I am 30 and watch GMA every morning while I am getting ready to go to work, so it is not just for old ladies, GMA with all of the young and fun anchors made me want to watch. Second TMZ you put the absolute worst picture of Josh you could possibly find right? Third I went to GMA last April and met Josh and Lara and Sam...I went in the studio after the show and got to spend about a half hour with them, they are all so nice, but JOSH went the extra mile for us, asking if we would like anything to drink, taking pictures and doing a live feed back to Fresno for us...none of which he had to do...he did it because he wanted to...so bottom line, don't believe everything you read, I am sure it was about money, but silly games between anchors....I don't know!

CelebrityScum

Bunch of over paid liberal hacks that do know the frist thing about journalism.

chris

josh seems like a time bomb waiting to explode......one of these days. I agree about Robin, she's not a journalist, she was a sportscaster like Josh, the exploiting of her illness by ABC shot her to the top, not her actual skills. It's strange that they haven't done the same for Amy?
You will never see Robin do hard political interviews. I don't think she's worth 14M

flowergirl

moe

Get rid of Robin Roberts. That old man makes me want to puke. And not just her personality--but how EVERYBODY fawns over her. Ugh.

Weedy1dad

these people on this show all drive around in hybrids and smell their own farts

zombie

He asked for $8 million bucks and ABC said "No" so he had to take the only offer made to him by NBC sports. He tried to go back to ESPN but they were glad to be rid of him. I love how TMZ likes to paint women as the cause of set unrest when everyone knows it was Josh who everyone has issues with. Some of his old co-workers at ESPN have nothing good to say about him.

Itoldu

GMA is nothing but an extended infomercial for all things Disney.
None of them are worth what they're being paid......

Elizabeth

April Fools?

lisatxss

I use to be all GMA. But it became the Robin Roberts Show all the time. Yeah happy she surviced cancer, but lets move on. Liked Josh, George & Lara. I Switched over to The Today Show (never thought I would) they are great ALL 4 hours.