Oksana's Former Lawyer -- Unmuzzled

11/23/2010 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The one man who can blow the lid off the Mel Gibson/Oksana Grigorieva case may now be unmuzzled ... TMZ has learned.

Oksana Grigorieva Lawyer

Eric George -- the lawyer who represented Oksana in her mediation with Mel -- is now unchained because Oksana has waived the attorney-client privilege ... TMZ has learned.  It's significant because sources tell us ... Oksana's lawyers have gone to great lengths to keep George quiet.

Oksana submitted a signed declaration to Judge Scott Gordon on November 3, which reads in part, "I have waived attorney-client privilege repeatedly in this declaration."

Here are just some of the issues Sheriff's investigators in the extortion investigation could ask George:

-- How much was Oksana involved in the discussion about money during the mediation
-- Did Oksana try to leverage the tapes in order to secure the $15 million package
-- Why did Oksana say she secretly recorded Mel
-- Did Oksana understand the custody arrangement before she signed the mediation agreement
-- Did anyone ever threaten Oksana with prosecution or deportation if she didn't sign

And there are issues related to the domestic violence investigation as well:

-- Did Oksana ever show George a photo of her with a black eye (i.e., did Oksana Photoshop the picture that is circulating)
-- Did Oksana ever show George a photo of the baby with a bruise, or claim the baby had been injured during the January 6 argument
-- Did Oksana ever tell George that Mel threatened to kill himself, her and the baby
-- Did Oksana tell George who had copies of the tapes during the mediation, which could be a clue in determining who leaked the tapes.

Sources tell us Oksana's team is doing whatever it can to keep George quiet, but if Judge Gordon gives George the all clear to speak to authorities .... it could have a significant impact on the custody case and the investigations.

little aussie reader

Little, I'm freezing :) And a little confused with this story :)

Posted at 4:00 PM on Nov 23, 2010 by kali

Let's house swap Kali! I would love to experience being snowed in. Even though it's raining here it's still 26C, which isn't toooo hot, but it's far from cold.

I'm confused by this story too - I'm not at all familiar with the U.S legal system, it seems a strange one.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

OH, Thanks Mike.

Are you Mike Mike, TMZ Mike?

Posted at 3:44 PM on Nov 23, 2010 by Sam
----
----
Gee Mike, that answer was very much 'smoke screeny'....?

Posted at 3:52 PM on Nov 23, 2010 by Sam

Shrug.

Posted at 3:59 PM on Nov 23, 2010 by Mike

LOL.

Did I hear a grin with that shrug?

fuddyduddy

Okay...I think I just figured it out.

OG's team is okay with Eric George testifying in court.

OG's team is NOT okay with Eric George speaking to authorities.

There again--I thought Eric George was already interviewed by LASD?

Does anyone know if Eric George has spoken with the LASD yet?

Tammy

Both Scott Gordon and Daniel Horowitz are listed as alumni here. There is one connection for you

Posted at 3:42 PM on Nov 23, 2010 by Annie
-----------------------------------------

I think Harvey mentioned in one of the TMZ live show months ago that the judge and Horowitz are personal friends.

Posted at 3:59 PM on Nov 23, 2010 by kinm

I've never been comfortable with this.

kali

Question:

Could Eric George have talked freely with Horoditz before she waived the privledge? If not, is it possible what she told Horoditz was untrue about what happened in the mediation so they decided to waive it so George could talk to them about it but now have found out George's version is different from her version and now they are trying to shut him up?

Did that make sense? heh

yo

YAY TEAM MEL's legal team posting here!

TEAM OJ

TEAM CHARILE

TEAM MEL

We love male abusive drug users, as long as they are rich and pay us! YAY

GO RICH TEAMS GO!

dee

It is quite odd isn't it. In the US can you limit waiving of attorney-client privilege , or is it an all or nothing thing? That is to say can one say "I will waive it for this piece of information, that bit of information but nothing else"?

Posted at 3:35 PM on Nov 23, 2010 by KikiOttawa

Kiki I'd like to know the answer to your question as well. I am inclined to imagine it is a request made specifically for a certain attorney-client relationship. That is to say if I have attorney X, Y and Z I would ask the judge to accept a waive from X at one point in time and it would be understood that Y and Z were not included.

I might be asking the Judge to review statements I made that would proof to be damaging to my attorney X. Attorney X would have a right to defend him or herself against my claims and therefore I would ask, while making the statements, that the judge waive any previous agreement of privilege made.

In short Kiki no, it's not a waive of all attorney client privacy privileges, instead it's a termination of that relationship forever.

Posted at 3:57 PM on Nov 23, 2010 by Mike

So mike if you want to sue your lawyer for malpractice, wouldn't you be waiving attorney-client privilege in order to open up the case to sue him. What would be the diffence in the wording for the termination of relationship and the releasing of confidentiality of the case.

Bruno

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!! I'm going to bet she waived this despite being told not to by her latest legal team. I predict another major change in Team Oxy-Moron coming in 3-2-1...

Majestik

Little, I'm freezing :) And a little confused with this story :)

Posted at 4:00 PM on Nov 23, 2010 by kali

kali, we are in the below zero digits and falling fast with the sun setting. My husband is a roofer and actually WORKING on a roof today. He came home yesterday and hugged me and I nearly hit the ceiling. His hands were so frozen I felt them through a fleece lined hoody LOLOLOLOL.

john

Maybe oskana wants to "break" the mediation agreement, and the Judge asked oskana he needs to know what was said to her from her lawyer. And in order to do that, she has to release him from client privilege.

It's a catch 22 for oksana, you don't allow the lawyer you had back then to speak freely and honestly, and judge will keep the mediation agreement, or if you sign this form releasing privilege and I find out valid reasons to null the mediation agreement, it will be null and void.

The Judge might have said you have to give me cause why I should not honor that agreement that has your signature on it.

kali

Majestic, it was -30c when I woke up this morning ;) So looking forward to Vegas this weekend!

kali

fuddy, did my version make sense? heh

dee

Posted at 3:35 PM on Nov 23, 2010 by KikiOttawa

Posted at 3:57 PM on Nov 23, 2010 by Mike

Jade evergreen

Uh oh someting going down and it doesn't look good for Oskank who one lying gold digging whore

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Mike--OG has already suggested a number of times that Eric George broke the law regarding mediation. Horowitz has suggested that, too.

Why would they subpeona Eric George to testify, but then try to shut him up? I'm confused on that.

Posted at 4:00 PM on Nov 23, 2010 by fuddyduddy

Is it possible that her lowers are underestimating Mel's--a woman? hm?

Is it possible they thought they could limit/control George? Could George himself have had something to do with her signing that declaration? 'I'm not testifying until I am turned loose competely and legally, or she can/will find a reason to sue me." ?