Scott Pelley

To Replace Katie Couric

At CBS

4/5/2011 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

CBS network sources tell TMZ ... Katie Couric's replacement for the "CBS Evening News" will be Scott Pelley.

0404_scott_katie_ex_getty

We're told Pelley, a veteran journalist and "60 Minutes" correspondent, is the choice of CBS News Chairman Jeff Fager.  We're told Fager, who became Chairman in February, took the position on the condition he could decide who takes the desk.

We're told Pelley, 53, is the choice for two reasons.  First, he's well-liked and respected by his bosses, and second ... there really is no second choice who is appealing to the CBS honchos.

We've heard rumblings CBS's grand poobah Les Moonves is not sold on Pelley, but he will defer to Fager.

Sources connected with Katie tell TMZ ... she made the decision to leave the anchor desk before Fager became Chairman, but they acknowledge Fager was not going to keep Katie as the "CBS Evening News" anchor.

Nevertheless , we're told all of the CBS bosses -- including Fager -- want Katie to do a syndicated show at the network and maintain a presence at CBS News.  Couric hasn't made her decision yet.

And that's the way it is ...

Katie Couric Photos

steverino

The ratings could even get worse when ole ferret face gets on the air. He is annoying as hell! Of course I never watch any of those liberal puke fests' anyway!

Jon

If it was a man with those abysmal ratings He would have been GONE a long time ago.
She's still around because CBS is afraid of liberal feminist activism

who dat

When you are able to get anyone to get you to go away....you're winning.

Strokadellic

F*ck Katie Couric. Gross.

tenley

Weird how TMZ is spacing these tiny pieces of "news" out like they're exclusive. All of this -- Katie leaving, this guy being the pick to replace her -- all of it appeared last week in one news article. I mean this is just weird. WTF is wrong with TMZ?

karlew

The hell with Pelley. The idiots at CBS news need to take their heads out of their asses and BEG John Roberts to come back. Roberts should have got the anchor spot after Rather left, they can right that wrong now. Plus I kinda like the idea of JD Roberts from Much Music anchoring a major American nightly news broadcast.

Sally

I don't see Pelle as bringing in many viewers. Harry Smith would have been a much better choice.

sweetdee88

cool; 60 minutes guy

beau

I never watched that dried up white woman anyway. I watch NBC national news..

jen

nice spin...she was FIRED....because she sucked...anyone would be better....she's soooooo yesterday...

gutsygirl

13. I first started watching Couric years ago on NBC, because I liked Al Roker. I always thought Katie was mediocre at best. But I really felt bad for her when her husband died of colon cancer. So I thought it was nice that she was treated with kid gloves. Then, some weeks later, she was interviewing a grandfather of a teenager that was involved in a 'Columbine' type incident. The poor man had tears in his eyes. But unrelenting Katie Couric kept pressing him for more of his reactions regarding his grandson. She wouldn't let up! One would think that after being shown such kindness by others regarding her own recent tragedy (death of her husband), that she would empathize with the older grandfather. Well she didn't. No feeling, no empathy, nothing! It was then that my opinion of her went from OVER-RATED and mediocre to despicable, for the way she treated that man. Since that time, I avoid watching or listening to her. Good riddance!

Posted at 3:33 AM on Apr 5, 2011 by WILLIAM SIEMON

I had a similar experience several years ago at my daughter's college graduation at which Ms. Couric spoke. I was left feeling it was a huge missed opportunity, not only for the speaker to impact young peoples' lives but for the graduates themselves going out into the world. It was all about her life's experiences and any attempt at self-deprecation was still about her. She was with her new, much-younger boyfriend, an alumnus of the school, and seemed more concerned about impressing him. I cannot watch her since.

Shelley

CBS is so stupid. They need to hire Russ Mitchell. He is so good and he doesn't act like he's dead when he reads the news.

Sandra

Katie was not the right person for CBS news. I am sure she was let go because of poor ratings. It will be interesting to see how Scott does!!!

Moose

its CBS and even Craig Ferguson knows their ratings suck...who cares who replaces Katie... noone watches anyways...world news is like newspapers, its all going by the wayside due to the internet and smart phones...tv will soon be a thing of the past...bye bye networks

Posted at 2:26 AM on Apr 5, 2011 by parker

====

Learn how to form sentences with proper punctuation and capitalization.

I guess you can't fix stupid. You clearly don't know what you are talking about, but don't let that stop you from spewing garbage.

I can't imagine people watching the Super Bowl on the internet or on any other small screened device. Sporting events were meant to be watched on large screen televisions.

Though it is true that the newspaper industry is struggling badly, those news organization are going to have to make money some how. They can't just provide news on the internet for free without some sort of revenue and expect to survive.

Prgy

Katie is smoking hot. Word has it she is a machine in the sack. Yeah!