« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe Bryant

I Didn't Mean

To Offend Anyone

4/13/2011 3:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant has issued a statement about his homophobic outburst during last night's Lakers game -- essentially admitting to using the word "f**got" and explaining, “What I said last night should not be taken literally."

0413-kobe-technical-tmt-ex-5-credit
Kobe continues, "My actions were out of frustration during the heat of the game, period. "

He adds, "The words expressed do NOT reflect my feelings towards the gay and lesbian communities and were NOT meant to offend anyone.”

As we previously reported, Kobe mouthed the words, "f**king f**got" towards an NBA referee last night after he was hit with a technical foul.

0323_gay_pride_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

johan2day

Its only unsportsmanlike conduct. As for his choice of words I seriously doubt he had the referees sexual orientation,or anybody eles's at the moment he spoke, in mind.

Shannon Steward

I bet Kobe was just frustrated that he was not able to rape a white woman that day and his emotions got the better of him.

Whirligig

@Flyboy- Things aren't always black and white, Flyboy... it's time you learn that. You're basically calling me an "anti-gay lesbian". You have no idea what you're talking about, so stop pushing your beliefs on other people. But you are using the word yourself, you've said it much more times than Kobe has. I'm personally more offending with you using the word than with Kobe. He was in the middle of a basketball game, and things get pretty heated there... but you however are in the middle of nothing. NOTHING.

I have tons of gay friends and straight friends who use the word, and I know for a fact that they're not "anti-gay". These are people that I've been friends with for years and years and years, and have never openly gone out of their way to attack anyone gay or lesbian. It's you who is attacking a lesbian. Get off of your high horse.

Flyboy

The Bible says nothing about "not accepting" gay people, Tee. Actually, it says the opposite. To love thy neighbor, faults and all, because none of us are perfect. And as for you trying to get violent with me, I'm not the violent type, mostly because I have an education and am not an ignorant social misfit. However, I've never, and I'm not saying this in a bragging way, I've never lost a fight. So, yeah. But, I don't need to go down that route with you. You have NOTHING to live for outside of a 2000 book you don't even comprehend. How pathetic your existence is.

mjfan212

at first i thought why is TMZ making a big deal over Kobe say ***ot then i thought ooo yea Harvey is gay thats why no jk hey Harvey how about some Jesse James stories i guess it pays to be friends with TMZ they won't post anything abt if your the boss friend well thats sad you chase kids around taking away their privacy but leave the A HOLE of america to just cheat and do as he please with out any paps from tmz chasing him or stories abt him but yet you hound Tiger Woods hmmm

wickedkarma

Really? it's not sposed to be taken "literally"?

I'm assuming then that any non-black person can hurl the N word and use the same sorry excuse?

FYI - if you don't want your words taken literally then DON'T SAY THEM!

margarettia

koby is a dush bag how does he react whn some1 calls him the n word? fair play

Holly

Leave the man alone.
Isn't being married to Vanessa bad enough?

Braddy

I am a long time referee, and trust me... that is baby talk compared to what you normally get called....

bo rust

A straight guy using the f-word is no more demeaning than a white guy using the n-word. Kobe ought to take a good look at himself.

BB in CA

You idiots that say who cares. My answer is LOTS OF PEOPLE.

Just like LOTS OF PEOPLE will care if a white guy calls a black ref the N word. Then he'd be apologizing.

Call the ref an A-hole. No one will be offended cuz we're all A holes! ;)

Jack

Wonder how Kobe would like it if I used the word "******"? Of course like Kobe, it would be out of frustration and not meant to be "taken out of text".

ro

FORGIVE HIM??? NO! IF WE USED THE "N" WORD ON HIM, WOULD HE FORGIVE? I DON'T THINK SO...JUST ANOTHER CELEBRITY SAYING "SORRY" BECAUSE HE HAS TO, TO SAVE HIS BEHIND WITH THE PUBLIC...PATHETIC.

el C

although he as a pro should know better it is a widely used slang term that can be used out of context. I hear it all the time from the 16-30 crowd..... He wasnt lying about his explanation. I said this to another player fouling the heck out of me 12+ years ago at soccer game 2 feet in front of my lesbian aunt who was watching from sideline, and feel bad about it to this day. but at the same time same as Kobe, I didnt MEAN it to offend, it was out of emotion and having a potty mouth. even though it propably did offend her.

Shannon

So by that rational I could call Koby the n-word as long as it is in the heat of the moment and afterwards I tell people to not take it literally? Nice try - your still a douchebag!