« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe Bryant

I Didn't Mean

To Offend Anyone

4/13/2011 3:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant has issued a statement about his homophobic outburst during last night's Lakers game -- essentially admitting to using the word "f**got" and explaining, “What I said last night should not be taken literally."

0413-kobe-technical-tmt-ex-5-credit
Kobe continues, "My actions were out of frustration during the heat of the game, period. "

He adds, "The words expressed do NOT reflect my feelings towards the gay and lesbian communities and were NOT meant to offend anyone.”

As we previously reported, Kobe mouthed the words, "f**king f**got" towards an NBA referee last night after he was hit with a technical foul.

0323_gay_pride_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

John

This is a good moment to bring attention to this problem and teach people and kids that it's not OK to throw that word around or to say that something is gay in a negative sense.

Rdot

2 words Rico SPELL CHECK!

dan

lets be honest. We,ve all said things we dont mean out of frustration. Gay or not!! Get over it..

Chris amstel

first forces him self on women this, they need to get rid of this f---k a-- hole

Christopher Martinez

Yes, an apology is needed. If someone would have yelled f***ing n****r, we would have Al Sharpton all over the press. Everyone needs to be sensitive to these types of issues. He's a role model, he's a person that companies pay millions of dollars to endorse products and represent a demographic. He needs to be mindful of what he says and does in public, period!

DeezNuts

Gay ppl get offended with everything. Go to any sports game and u will get offended at damn near everyone. Whomever is offended go do something with ur life.

Whirligig

@Holly- lmfao! :D :D :D

Yenkme

He is Black!! Its OK....
I thought Blacks can say & do what ever they want!!
Jamie Fox can tell the President he didnt know how to dance and that must be the other 50%. If that wasnt racist remark I dont know what is!! Its ok nobody will say **** because it is reverse discrimination in this Country. WAKE UP LIBERALS!!!!

Flyboy

And here we go. I'm "pushing my beliefs" on others because I'm not a jacka** who calls people out of their name. Right. I AM the one in the wrong, because I DON'T use gay slurs. What a screwed up way of thinking. And you're right Kitty, I'm not going to even type out the word anymore. It's offensive, and that's it. It is a very black and white issue. There is no such thing as homophobia not being black and white. That IS an anti-gay way of thinking. Homophobia is wrong. And I'm not even attacking you for being a lesbian, but not realizing that this word, used in this context, is hateful. And justifying it's usage justifies anti-gay hatred.

johan2day

If he had called the ref a motherf*&^er would would that offend mothers worldwide?

Mother2ADuckie

Sure. He didn't MEAN to offend anyone but he is using an extremely offensive word. I don't use that word ever so it never "accidentally" slips out in the heat of the moment. It is not a part of my vocabulary because it is hate speech and offensive. I put it in the same category as the n*gger word. It isn't a word I use and will not "accidentally" slip out. There is no excuse for such hate speech.

Jeremy

I'm sure the "apology" would mean the same if it were someone calling another person the "N-word"? You can't have it both ways people. Don't be hypocritical. These slurs hurt some people -- just because they don't hurt you, doesn't mean they don't hurt.

Charlie Sheen Brother

Leave up to Kobe to hate gays and cheat on his wife...lol When he gets caught, he point fingers, doesnt take resposibility and does a stupid press conference with his lady with him...lol

Vanessa Bryant, I think the 10 year milestone is up, if you divorce you can get HALF HIS ESTATE!! JUST DO IT!

Prici

Ain't this some bs!!! K-Mart used the same slur towards Cuban last year, the NBA did nothing. http://youtu.be/9jgxlPfSr-0

Jeremy