Maria Shriver

Files for Divorce

7/1/2011 3:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Maria Shriver has pulled the trigger on her marriage ... she just filed for divorce from Arnold Schwarzenegger ... and we've learned, there is NO PRENUP.

Maria Shriver Divorce
In the divorce petition, obtained by TMZ, Shriver cites "irreconcilable differences" as her reason for ending the 25-year marriage.

Shriver is asking for spousal support and wants the judge to deny Arnold the right to ask for support for himself-- though it's highly unlikely he would.

Shriver is asking for joint custody of their minor children, who she names in the document as 17-year-old "Patrick Arnold Shriver Schwarzenegger" and 13-year-old "Christopher Sargent Shriver Schwarzenegger."

And, in the petition, filed by disso-queen Laura Wasser, Shriver is asking Arnold to pay the attorneys' fees of both parties.

As for the date Arnold and Maria separated ... it isn't specified in the divorce papers.

According to the docs, the property accumulated during the marriage will be divided at a later date.  And, sources tell TMZ, there is no prenup, so all of Arnold and Maria's earnings over the past quarter century will be divided 50/50.

Sources close to the couple tell TMZ ...  Arnold and Maria are on speaking terms and Arnold knew beforehand that she was filing divorce papers. Maria is telling friends she hopes this will be an easy and amicable divorce.

0701_arnold_maria_split_footer

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

Arnold lost his family, money and reputation for a roll in the hay. Why not just take a cold shower. I thought he was smart, but I guess he is dumb after all. Was it worth it? NO! He's been ERASED ! ! ! !

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Good luck for the people who work it out with a cheater. I for one think I am worth more than that and deserve only the best.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Googie Googie

Asta la vista Arnold. Get him where it hurts, his money.

Barbarascy Barbarascy

I'm actually sad to see them divorcing. But some things just can't be fixed. I'd say this is one of them.

jpierce26 jpierce26

can't help but being blunt....good for her he is a D-bag. The worst kind.

MIKE MIKE

GOOD! I Hope she takes the pig to the cleaners!

Paul Paul

Who's the "Terminator" now?

Superman Superman

Kinda sad. He pretty much came out of nowhere and practically begged her to marry him. Then after they marry, he cheats on her for decades with many women. Greedy sc*mbag forgot to count his blessings. Same story, different rich guy.

Mark

Did you know Gov Arnold never went to a USC game..
Arnold hated the trojans

gregjos

I'm so fed up with people saying... "The Kennedy's don't care about Infidelity". Please give Maria and Arnold and their family a break and leave them alone. I only wish the media (of course not TMZ) would acually focus more attention to our country's loosing more Solder's each day...over there, over there!
TMZ, could you please show each Solder's picture and comment on the passing each night! ThX, Gb

jose

yeah is too bad after 25 years oh marriage and kids...i guess you can say now hasta la vista baby

PJ

Seems like I am on a race along w/Maria.We deserve better girl.Blessings to you and the boys'.He forgot his roots and forgot to come back for the poor.Greedy/Selfish individuals end up alone.You are a SUPERWOMAN!Best Wishes.

user1

I think Arnold just had a major sex addiction problem which went unresolved for many years- and because of it, it led to the downfall of their message. I don't think he's a bad person- I think he's just got a serious problem that never was treated for a long time. Hopefully he'll get the help he needs now.

juliamaria

A lady all the way! has class and intelligence, not to mention a strong support group. This is also the right thing to teach her children. Less can say more.

Poster/not always viewer

Vivi,
I'm sorry for your folks. I know you cannot help but see thru the prism of your own experience. If your mom had the trust funds Maria does and your Dad had monies from movies and investments, things might be different.

That said, Maria did NOT give up her career for her children. She worked up until she was fired when Arnold became governator. A huge disappointment to me since I worked for him.

I am quite sure Maria will be well taken care financially. The kids are a nonissue. AND, most importantly, we don't know if Maria is demanding the spousal support (AND not always awarded) or something her lawyer threw in the pot. She clearly is looking to go back to work, Oprah even offered her a job. But her lawyer doesn't want Arnold to come back and ask for spousal support from her if he doesn't work for a while. Again, not always granted and either side can always go back into court at a later time. But let's be clear here, this is NOT about money. Neither one is worried about paying then rent or food.

This is just the lawyers' chess game. The "looks' of Arnold, Maria or Mildred are just catty attacks.

Interesting tho, the guys here attack Maria and the women attack Arnold.

middleagedcrazy

So very sad for the family. But in the final analysis, extramarital children are the dealbreaker.

The marital children's life and potential assets are put at risk for future lawsuits and stuff like that and the only way a responsible parent can protect the marital children is to divorce.

Do any of you guys really think a wife should pay for her husband's extramarital affairs? Marriages can recover and forgive infidelity, but not an extramarital child.

So sad for the wife and four children, the extramarital child and the husband who thought the child was his. The two yukky ones too bad, so sad.

hankeroni

It's ok for men to cheat on women. It's expected. men need to explore other avenues. I dont see what the big deal is. Maria sgould just take it like a woman and quite crying. This is to be expected.

sister

I think she should take the s*** for all he is worth and tell him "DON"T COME BACK". But as a Californian we all know that Arnold isn't worth anything. What a waste of someone breathing our good sea air here. All Arnold has ever been in love with is the fact that "Kennedy Shriver" gave him status. Maria has earned everthing that she can get out of Arnold. He would have NEVER of been the elected if it weren't for her family's status. But Maria we don't blame you for all Arnolds mistakes.

Cristina

Thank god Maria filed for divorce from that sleaze. If I were in her position, I would have done the same thing.

GG1000

And a schoen Guten Tag to the man who HAD everything! What a Scheisskopf.

casey

The saddest part ..mildred the maid probably thinks she has a chance to marry him now

Sue

He only married Maria for political reasons after all she is a kennedy lots of connections in the political field

O Y

What difference does money make to the kids? They wanted a loving family, and look what has happened. Adequate child support will at least make sure that they at the very least continue in the fashion in which they were raised, and hopefully retain their living and schooling situations. Adults make mistakes - the kids should not be made to pay by being ripped out of their environment, too.

Previous 15 Comments | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments