« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Red Sox John Lackey

Divorcing Wife Battling Cancer

9/26/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0926_lackey_ex
Boston Red Sox pitcher John Lackey has filed to divorce his wife, Krista ... who is in the middle of battling breast cancer.

Lackey filed on August 30, according to court docs in Texas, claiming "the marriage has become insupportable because of discord or conflict of personalities." Krista and John got married in November, 2008.

Sources close to the family tell TMZ ... Krista underwent a double mastectomy back in March and underwent chemo as recently as June.

The divorce petition says John and Krista had a prenup. It also says Lackey has "separate property" he wants to keep for himself.

Lackey filed the divorce papers using only his and Krista's initials -- a tactic Tony Parker and Eva Longoria ... and Sandra Bullock and Jesse James also used in their Texas divorces.

It's unclear why Lackey -- who's struggled on the field all season long -- didn't wait til the off-season, about a month from now, to start divorce proceedings.

update_bar
4:33 PM: The Red Sox just released a statement on Lackey's behalf -- telling us, "John Lackey is dealing with a deeply personal family issue, and it is one the Red Sox do not feel is appropriate for public debate.  The Red Sox request that John and Krista’s privacy be respected."

0713_stars_split_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

anthony

one word LOWLIFE

anthony

one word LOWLIFE

luvs2laf

worthless pr!ck.

richard nicoletti

I didn't like lackey before I read this. He always seems to be personally offended with teammates who make errors while he's pitching. He doesn't seem to be a team player. He certainly isn't when it comes to his lovely, unfortunate wife.

Louie

What a piece of human trash well he wont have to wait long for the off season

It's Me

You're assuming the wife is upset about this. Google lackey and you'll see how ugly he is (moles ALL OVER the face, fat, lips like a bass fish), and what a d bag personality he has. She might be relieved- I hope she is- and I hope she has a new person in her life who she deserves.

daja2k796

I always knew you were some kind of a jerk, you proved me wrong, your a FREAKIN JERK! You sucked as an Angel and Red Sox pitcher and failed as a man

Ryan

Lackey you are the s*** of all s***. Who divorces a spouse with cancer. The only reasons for divorce EVER should be:
1. Infidelity
2. Fraud/Squandering away funds
3. Abuse

I'm glad your career has BOMBED since you left the Halos. Enjoy your baked beans *******.

Eric W.

Most of the people commenting here have no idea what the real cir****tances are, yet you judge the guy based on a very leading and biased story. Morons being morons, I guess.

Memory

JERK! What happened to your vows..."in sickness and in health..." Bad Karma on you!!

ksm

I have never liked John Lackey as a Red Sox. He can't pitch, he whines, and he shows up his teammates. Look at that picture...she is gorgeous and he is a odd looking character (whose mouth is always hanging open). I feel so bad for her having to deal with cancer and now this, but I bet in the end she will be much better off without this whining piece of crap (and I'm a Red Sox fan). P.S. the Red Sox need to dump this piece of garbage ASAP.

Craig

Who here gives one damn if the Red Sox organization does not want us to discuss a creep working for their organization. Go Tampa Bay - karma Red Sox nation karma.

john

i hate when people are mad at lackey cuz no one know why really so how can u really have a opinion on the matter

pongman

What the Red Sox fans should do is not show up for his games when he's pitching. Maybe the front office will get rid of him.

ms franbm

Lackey is a disgrace on and off the field the way he treated Francona and his teammates as well. Im a sox fan since the 60s he needs to go. I refuse to watch any game he pitches. I could care less about his divorce his wife is probably better without him...