« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Red Sox John Lackey

Divorcing Wife Battling Cancer

9/26/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0926_lackey_ex
Boston Red Sox pitcher John Lackey has filed to divorce his wife, Krista ... who is in the middle of battling breast cancer.

Lackey filed on August 30, according to court docs in Texas, claiming "the marriage has become insupportable because of discord or conflict of personalities." Krista and John got married in November, 2008.

Sources close to the family tell TMZ ... Krista underwent a double mastectomy back in March and underwent chemo as recently as June.

The divorce petition says John and Krista had a prenup. It also says Lackey has "separate property" he wants to keep for himself.

Lackey filed the divorce papers using only his and Krista's initials -- a tactic Tony Parker and Eva Longoria ... and Sandra Bullock and Jesse James also used in their Texas divorces.

It's unclear why Lackey -- who's struggled on the field all season long -- didn't wait til the off-season, about a month from now, to start divorce proceedings.

update_bar
4:33 PM: The Red Sox just released a statement on Lackey's behalf -- telling us, "John Lackey is dealing with a deeply personal family issue, and it is one the Red Sox do not feel is appropriate for public debate.  The Red Sox request that John and Krista’s privacy be respected."

0713_stars_split_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

jxtr

Dumping your sick, cancer ridden wife, that's a playbook for politicians. Is he eager to start a career as a politician anytime soon?

adb

Didn't Clint Eastwood do something similar to longtime girlfriend Sondra Locke?

She wrote in her book that she came home from the hospital from cancer treatment, she found the locks changed and her belongings in storage.

Marebear0401

Karma does have a way of coming around. Remember Tiki Barber leaving his pregnant wife for another woman? She was about to give birth and he bolted. Now he can't find a job to support the homewrecker. How long before she leaves him for someone else? Don't you worry, John's got his coming to him. Karma, baby, karma.

nancels31

I'm a Red Sox fan but CANNOT stand Lackey. This just gives me one more reason to think he is a piece of crap.

mark

maybe she cheated on him...nobody knows but them. I do remember Lackey and Adam Kennedy flirting with a lot of women at the newport beach equinox before he got traded to the sox.

moi

Must have gotten some good advice at that John Edwards seminar he attended. What a dbag! I hope Karma (or maybe a fastball) hits him full on in the face-

Cheryl A.

This POS took the same marriage vows as everyone else yet she gets sick and suddenly it's "see ya"

I pray that his wife gets better and takes him for all she can.

Steve in Orlando

John Lackey is a total piece of crap. I feel sorry for his wife having to go through this time in her life with a worthless human being like John Lackey. For better or worse John!

LuvLeeRita

He didn't wait to file because Lackey is Tacky.

Jen0202

That is his reason for divorce??? MAYBE your personalities aren't getting along because she is being poisoned to save her life and is moody and doesn't feel well. Maybe she is feeling a little less pretty and less like a woman right now since having her breasts removed. MAYBE she really needs some extra love and support from her douchebag of a husband who instead of doing so decided to run like a coward and divorce her. Nice interview yesterday, crying to the media "oh boo hoo ME!".

Douchebag of the year award goes to John Lackey....

stacey

Let's start by saying I loathe the Red Sox and any team member (hehe). You could look at this two ways. 1. I can agree with Jim. She may have caused this herself and TMZ tried to make it sound bad by telling us she has cancer. 2. He really is a douche by letting her go through this alone now. I tend to agree with 2 more, though.

writenow

Well, it beats killing her outright, as is often recorded, here,

But I see it as she's ridding herself of 200 plus pounds of garbage.

Irene

As someone who just finished with chemo for ovarian cancer and beat it, I can honestly say that I could not have made it without my husband by my side. He did everything for me during the good days and the bad and kept my spirits up. This guy is a heel.

AddieTrish

s***bag

QE2

Well, I don't know the situation, but hopefully he will be financially good to her in the divorce so that she is taken care of--especially if she needs more treatements.