Meredith Vieira REJECTS NBC Offer

to Replace Ann Curry

6/21/2012 10:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0621_ann_curry_vieira_savannah
NBC secretly offered Meredith Vieira a big contract to replace Ann Curry on the "Today" show ... but she turned them down.

Sources connected with the network tell TMZ ... the offer was made approximately two weeks ago but Meredith wasn't interested in returning to the show she anchored for 6 years.

TMZ broke the story back in April ... Ann Curry was on her way out, partly because NBC was unhappy with her performance, partly because the ratings started to suck, and partly because Matt Lauer didn't like working with her.

As we reported, when Matt re-signed with "Today," he made it clear he wanted a new co-anchor, but NBC delayed making an immediate change because the network didn't want to make it look like a big foot on Matt's part.

From what we're hearing, Ann could be 86'd within a matter of weeks.

As for who will replace Ann, network sources say the frontrunner is Savannah Guthrie, who co-hosts the third hour of "Today."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Sashatree

What we should all be asking ourselves is what kind of a prick is Matt Lauer to work with?? He seems to have WAY too much say at the Today Show and if he doesn't like his co-anchor, he's successfully had them canned....one after another.

DITCH MATT. HE'S BORING AND TOO FULL OF HIMSELF! I think Meredith, Ann, and even Katie were heads above him!!

Kelly

Pretty lousy treatment after Ann worked on the show for over 14 years, through several hosts waiting for her chance to co-anchor. She was a good news reader and a loyal employee the entire time. But I guess if you she doesn't appeal to the men in charge, she get's the heave-ho.

TMZ_Admin

Looks are obviously not a factor in the decision-making process.

StarryStarryNight

matt wants ann out cause he and savannah were/still are having an affair.

Ace

Savannah is a good choice. Me don't like ann.

Pudding Tang

The problem very well could be Matt Lauer and not Ann Curry. I see nothing wrong with her and how she does her job. Seems to me replacing her with Savannah Guthrie is not anything that's going to make much of a difference if any.

Laurie

I think Ann Curry was great in the position she was in before. I'm not a fan of Savannah, she's a freakishly tall woman. I personally think Natalie Morales would be good, or my fave, Jenna Wolfe, she is hysterical!

BigLife

Ann Curry is rude and interrupts too much. She doesn't come across and caring or sincere at all. She's the reason I don't watch that show.

Michael Malone

I think it kinda sucks to **** on Ann like you are doing. And you guys have kinda made it public weeks ago that Ann was gonna get fired as soon as ya found a replacement..She does have feelings people and you've trounced all over them yet she is still there with her head held high..I really liked her and I say Kudos to you Ann Curry and shame on the rest of you for your low down tactics

ShrinkWrap

Wow. Matt seems to be an egotistical prick. I work with people whom I cannot stand, but I don't try to get them fired. He's an ass.

dick

Matt Lauer is a douche, I can't remember the the last time I watched the "today" show, I get my news from the internet when I get to work in the morning.

NoBozo

Savanah is cheerleader-lite. Airhead and not at all as interesting as Ann Curry. I like Matt but, no to Savanah. She's totally on the level of "ET."

Truth

no 1 curr!!!!!!!!!!

John Betteroffer

Ann Curry asks the stupidest questions, she is the worst interviewer on the today show.
She is great at doing the news, she should just stick with that

Ashley

Ugh, this makes me sick for so many reasons. It just goes to show you that no matter what if you put in the work and work hard and pretty much do everything over 100% it doesnt matter. Also, Savannah disgusts me. she is more than annoying! MAybe they should have gone after Katie Couric! But i say, keep ann, and maybe switch her with Natalie. I like Natalie way more then i will EVER like Savannah!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments